Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought some fuel stabilizer today for my bike. It's garaged 24x7, but it gets damned cold in that garage. I plan to ride throughout the winter whenever it's 40 degrees or warmer, but I can't anticipate how long it might have to sit inbetween rides, so I thought it would be good to keep the stabilizer in it all winter. But my husband said he didn't think I should add it unless the bike was going to sit for a couple of months. I thought that it won't hurt to have it in the tank all the time. What do you guys in colder climates who don't winterize your bikes do?

Thanks!

The helpless female :D

·
Registered
184 Posts
Ha !! I would wonder how one would define a "dumb question" with so much intelligent thought in it ??

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

folks underestimate the value of stabilized fuel imo 8)

i endorse the use of stabilizers on any bike that is not started at least
once a month

·
ULTIMATE Forum Supporter
7,748 Posts
I agree with bikeaholic. Everything I could find out about fuel suggested it starts to break down in as little as 3 weeks. We have a 2 stroke dirt bike which we mix fuel/oil for and lots of those guys won't run fuel that has sat for more than a week. Fuel stabilizer's a good thing and won't hurt anything.

It's also OK if you go for a ride over the winter but don't just start your bike and let it idle for a few minutes then shut it off. That just causes condensation to build up and then rust. You have to warm it up to normal operating temp, which you can't do just idling in the garage.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
Sea foam ,is another good one , plus it help's clean the carbon out when you do run the bike.

·
Registered
148 Posts
It doesnt get cold for a long lenth of time here in cali. but when my boat sits for the winter I always run the fuel out or add some octane boost to it before I run it again, your fuel will break down wile sitting. If you do not like the idea of stabilizers add fresh fuel and dump the old stuff in the the neighbors car next door that keeps you up late at night. HEHE, LOL. Just kidding.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
julie

We used Stabil in our bikes all last winter without any problems. They've had it added for this winter, which is looking to be a cold snowy winter. Bummer for riding but the skis will get a workout.

Bill

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, everyone! This forum is such a great place. It's so nice to have so many informed friends to ask when I'm confused about something!

I hope that my bike won't have to sit more than two or three weeks without being ridden! And thanks, bross, for reinforcing what I already thought--that starting the bike up for a few minutes and not riding it isn't a good idea. I'll have to check out the Sea Foam, too.

Thanks again!

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
billc5 said:
julie

We used Stabil in our bikes all last winter without any problems. They've had it added for this winter, which is looking to be a cold snowy winter. Bummer for riding but the skis will get a workout.

Bill
If only I skied... A third-generation Coloradoan who doesn't ski. Can you believe it? :) I guess the good side of that is that the money I save on lift tickets can go toward more accessories for my bike. :lol:

·
RIP Deron Harden :-(
32,545 Posts
drygas

julie
just my $0.02 so take it for what its worth. if you are planning on riding as often as you can here is my recommendation. keep your tank topped off each time you park the bike. put one jug of drygas in each time. this will keep moisture out of the tank which can cause a handful of problems. the drygas should keep the fuel stable for you. when i parked my magna over the winter, it was in an enclosed porch that was not heated or even insulated. all i did was top it off and put two jugs of drygas in it. i think i started it once over the winter. when spring came, i wheeled it out and it fired within 4 or 5 cranks, no problem. also, with drygas, there is no rough running. i have heard from quite a few people that the stabil will make the bike run rough until it is completely gone. so that means, either draining the fuel or running a few tanks through when it is running rough. good luck.

david

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks a lot, David. I really appreciate the advice.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

i also use sea foam with no problems :wink:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts