Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Dumb question about keychains

3K views 32 replies 28 participants last post by  Ishmael 
#1 ·
Looking at the location of the Vulcan 900 ignition (under the seat), it looks like if you had your key on a key chain, the key chain would swing around while riding, scratching the paint and making noise. Is this the case? So far I don't have the key on a ring, but I have to change that before I lose it. I've asked for this for xmas, but I'm not sure now:

Kawasaki Vulcan® Keychain at Cheap Cycle Parts

#5 ·
Funny story here about key chains....

When we brought the bike home I bought Chaz one of those smaller (for bikes) suede fringed key chains with the metal skull at the top (for the REALLY macho look!) We'd only had it a few months when we hooked up with my brother for a ride. I was just a passenger in those days! :lol: He rides a Harley and ALWAYS kids us about our Kawasaki.

So, he's leading and we're following...he takes off down the road and suddenly the 900 stopped!!! No power, like it died. Chaz kept hitting the start button, but nothing :icon_frow We coasted over to the side of the road and waited for my brother to figure out we weren't behind him and come back. I kept thinking about what he would have to say, since he made fun our bike!!

Well, he comes back for us and he are Chaz and looking over the bike....then they saw what happened....the key was turned OFF!!!!!! Turns out, the fringe flapping around in the wind had somehow caught the key and turned it off!!!!!! :eek: This happened to him one other time and he changed the key chain!!!! Once he changed the key chain to a smaller leather one, it never happened again!!!! :lol:

#6 ·
I don't use a key chain on my bike keys. leave it in the ignition at home, put it in my pocket when I park somewhere I don't trust. no big deal, no scratched paint to worry about. Plus, I keep a spare key on my keychain in case I lose my key(never have). mike

#9 ·
On my 1600 classic you can start the bike and then remove the key, no need to worry about any damage
yeah mine too, I though that was how it was on most cruisers so you don't scratch stuff or have it over your speedometer blocking your view.

Just turn the ignition to the on position and pull out the key. It shuts off without the key and locks back into the off position.

#11 ·
Since I don't know the real name, I use a "quick disconnector" that attachs my motorcycle key on a small ring. All you do is squeeze both ends together and it's disconnected. Very handy. I didn't like the flopping around asking to scratch something or weight on the ignition. My spare key just has a nylon "Navy" tag on it. It won't damage anything either.

#14 ·
I have a sears garage door opener tied to my key. It's plastic on plastic. I imagine sooner or later it will rub a groove into it. If it can keep up with the damage I do, I'll be amazed.

#17 ·
I have a tendency to misplace (haven't lost any yet) a ring of keys, much less a single key. In addition, for my 900LT, in addition to the ignition key, I have keys for my disc lock, my cable helmet lock, my LeatherLykes, the storage box for insurance and registration papers I put behind my license plate, and an Kyptonite chain which I don't use and should take that key off. To avoid having to carry another ring, I also have my house key in my motorcycle set.

I've put the ignition key on one ring and the rest of the keys on another. The two rings are connected by a quick disconnect -- possibly like the one bagya mentioned, only on mine you pull back on one ring to disconnect. By design, once connected, the harder you pull without pulling back on the ring, the tighter the two hold together. Only the ignition key, a small ring and the connecter go into my ignition lock and cause no problem flipping around and banging and/or scratching stuff.

When I'm off the bike, I connect the two and everything is together and large enough to help keep me from misplacing it.

I've attached photos of the rings connected and disconnected.

#18 ·
I use that two-piece, double ring setup like hharada ^^^ and it works real well. I keep my car & house keys on one ...motorcycle related keys on the other.

The funny thing is, I have one car and one house key ...the motorycle side has a key for the bike, trailer lock, trunk lock, and two keys for the trailer receiver locks.

#19 ·
BikerBeagle,

To avoid having so many keys on the ring I'd have in my bike's ignition lock, if I were you, I'd look at setting them up on three rings and two of the quick disconnects. The bike's ignition key on one, connected to a ring with the bike's trailer lock, trunk lock, the two keys for the trailer receiver locks, and your house key, connected to a third ring with your car key.

The reason I suggest not putting your house key on the ring with your car key, especially if you don't have and use a valet key for your car, is to avoid leaving your house key with a parking lot attendent, auto mechanic, car, washer, valet, etc. Once in a while you hear of someone leaving their car with an attendent, later having their house broken into with a key copy made from the house key they had left with their car.

#23 ·
i only have my moto key and the zumo tool attached to my key, the zumo tool actually rubs aganist the sprocket cover on my bike.. I guess i should get rid of the tool off the key, but i cant loose it if its on there

kenny

#24 ·
The total number of keys on a keyring depends on the size of the ring(s) and the number of rings you link together with the quick disconnects.

I personally have separate sets for my newer vehicles and 900 which I drive/ride most often. Those sets are limited to the keys I need for the particular vehicle -- ignition, glove box, bike rack, roof box, saddle bags, disc lock, helmet lock, plus a house key.

These sets, as I suggested above, have the ignition key, by itself, on one ring -- on the 900 so there's nothing hanging far enough to scratch anything and on the other vehicles so the parking lot, carwash, etc. attendant only gets the ignition key.

I do have a master set which I usually leave home. It has two 1.25 inch rings connected with the quick disconnect. The 10 keys on one ring and 11 keys on the other still hang loose on the rings.

#25 ·
This whole key discussion is a good reason to get a V2K!! After you turn the bike on, you can remove the key.....and it doesn't matter how many keys are on the ring because they aren't hanging on the bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.