Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dumb Question about upgrading exhaust pipes

Hi all,
I have a 2006 Vulcan 1500 classic. I bought it used with about 5000 miles on it. I believe the previous owner did a modification to the exhaust, but not exactly by the book. The reason I think that is I bought a complete set of factory exhaust pipes on ebay, and when I got the parts they did not match to my exhaust correctly ( I mainly wanted to replace the chrome pieces due to a small ding and scratches). However the baffles look the same, but actual exhaust pipes look different especially at the end where the baffles would connect. Any way... my question is if I end up upgrading the pipes/exhaust does that normally come will a full exhaust system, or just where the baffles connect. Sorry if this is dumb I just want to know for sure before proceeding.

Thanks

·
Can You See Me Now?
325 Posts
Before you install that stock exhaust, you might look and make sure there aint a fuel programmer installed. If so, you will run way too rich and mileage will go to h..e...double hockeystick!

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
go ahead and get some gaskets ahead of time for when you swap out the exhaust. they are cheap. You don't HAVE to change them, but for the small amount, you might as well. just get them ahead of time, because the dealer probably won't have them in stock if you wait till you need them.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Aftermarket exhaust may mean just slip-on mufflers, or a complete system where you replace the header pipes and mufflers. When you say "baffles", I assume you mean the mufflers themselves. The baffles are inside the mufflers.

I'm not sure what type of modification the previous owner could have done that would prevent a complete stock exhaust from being attached. If you remove what's on there now, a stock exhaust system should fit just fine (assuming it's the correct stock system).

Where is the issue? What is not matching correctly?

·
Premium Member
466 Posts
first of all, there is no such thing as a dumb question around here. with the knowledge and experience subscribed to this forum the only dumb question is the one that is not asked, no apologies needed.

but to your question, you can get either, like dave007 said there are mufflers or "slip ons" which replace your stock mufflers or you can replace the entire pipe which really is not half as hard as it sounds. Slip ons usually cost around 2/3 to 3/4 the price of a decent set of pipes.

As far as the previous owners mods, I'm not sure what they may have done that would cause the problem your describing but if you have the entire exhaust system then I would say to go ahead and swap the two, then you'll know you have what is supposed to be on the bike and if you decide to buy slip ons in the future there should not be any issues with installing them. Like ncdave said, just be sure to get new crush gaskets for any time you pull the exhaust from the heads, try using the old ones and they will leak.

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
you don't HAVE to replace the gaskets, but they are cheap and easy to do while you're there. I know because I didn't replace mine. Never had a leak problem in 6+ years. Perhaps that's the exception....or maybe I'm just a super great mechanic! :D

·
Premium Member
466 Posts
you don't HAVE to replace the gaskets, but they are cheap and easy to do while you're there. I know because I didn't replace mine. Never had a leak problem in 6+ years. Perhaps that's the exception....or maybe I'm just a super great mechanic! :D
or perhaps that "wonderfully" loud tone is just exhaust bowing strait out of the cylinder head:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts