Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, need to replace both tyres on my 900 classic having got 9000 miles out of them no problems at all really. as i have only been on 2 wheels for 2 years and the bike came with the dunlop D404's fitted i have no knowledge on another make of tyre. on the forum the m880's seem a popular tyre i understand that i shoul get similiar mileage with better road holding although iam not one to throw the bike about"only steady" i do have a concern in that the 880's are a tubeless tyre is it ok to run them with a tube in? finally would a 200x70-15 fitt straight in with no prolems or modification. thanks in advance for your replies Phil

·
IBA#34418
6,332 Posts
Well I am biased towards metzler of those 2 choices. I got 8500 out of my stock dunlop and it was toast. Got 14K out of both rear metzlers and they were toast. Had 24K on the front and could have went another 2K or so if I had chosen to.

I haven't tried them yet but the Pirelli MT66 are getting good reviews and are less expensive than the metzlers.

Most tires today are labeled tubeless. That doesn't mean you can't put a tube in them. Since I ride a 900 too I have tubes in these as well.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I'm surprised that your front tire should need replacing already. I've got 14000 miles on mine and it still has some life left in it. I have already bought a replacement though, a Metzler. The back was replaced with a Metzler at about 8500 miles. I might go dark side next time the back wears out though.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm surprised that your front tire should need replacing already. I've got 14000 miles on mine and it still has some life left in it. I have already bought a replacement though, a Metzler. The back was replaced with a Metzler at about 8500 miles. I might go dark side next time the back wears out though.
sorry but what do you mean by dark side ?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Let me add another vote for the Metzelers. I got around 9K on the stock tires and have 16K on the Metzelers now and I'm just about to replace the rear. Front still has plenty of life left in it. I had the same experience with the front and rear tires wearing out on the Dunlops. Not sure why.

·
Ride long and prosper
1,487 Posts
I just when darkside but I had metz 200's and they where great tire with the obvious wear out faster that I like (all bike tires do so it is no real decider here) My feel was that the metz was a quieter smoother ride than the duns.

·
'09 Vulcan 900 Custom
906 Posts
I just when darkside but I had metz 200's and they where great tire with the obvious wear out faster that I like (all bike tires do so it is no real decider here) My feel was that the metz was a quieter smoother ride than the duns.

+1
Just swapped to the 200/70-15 rear and 90/90-21 Metx fronts over the weekend. Quieter and smoother than the stockers is probably the best description I have heard. No problems with fit at all. Good choice if the mileage is better than the dunnies. I got 7000 out of the rear. The front hardly looked used, but I replaced it to have a matching set. Now I can just swap the rear when it goes next time.....

·
Super Moderator
10,875 Posts
My vote is for Metzlers.

·
Winter sucks.
1,083 Posts
Metz all the way. Of course, I'm going dark when the stocker is burned up, which should take me about another 2k with the way I ride (have 1k on that tire now).

·
Grade "A" Poser
2,455 Posts
I put Metzelers on last year and I love them.

·
Former Vulcan Lady
4,225 Posts
I switched to Metzler last year and I love them. I felt the difference in handling on the curves immediately. I have tubes in mine. I got 12K on the rear stock (Dunlop 404)and could have gotten more on the front but wanted to change both to the same brand of tire.

·
Registered
10,122 Posts
I've been running the 880's on my 1600 about 4 years & really like the performance. Got a big cut in my rear tire last year at the end of the season on a trip down in NC. Couldn't get an 880 anywhere immediately & had to settle for Dunlop. I was just glad to get a tire to finish my trip with. Actually, I haven't noticed much difference. Anyways, I'll wear it out & prolly go back to the 880's.

Check your tires regularly people! Don't know how it happened, didn't remember running over anything but it could've been a disaster had I not seen it. It also pays to carry the right tools to remove a wheel. The nearest place to get a tire was a small Kaw dealer 60 mi away. I would've been buying tools also had I not had mine in my bag.8)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Pirelli route 66 front and back they are just as good as the Metzler and a little cheaper. I got almost 22,000 miles out of my last set of Pirelli's

1 - 20 of 33 Posts