Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
I'm back...
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friends:

Is it just me or are you also seeing a dwindling number of riders out on weekend rides?

I'm riding as much as always, but seeing a lack of fellow riders on California roadways and points of typical congregation? I mean, this is the prime season for riding and other than my riding groups, there's nobody out there???

Have you seen the same in your area?

-Paul

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I was out yesterday and was expecting to see more bikes on the road. I don't have an answer. Let's see what the rest of the summer brings.

·
Wannabe Poser
3,446 Posts
For sure the economy is playing havoc with people's ability to ride. I was let go a few weeks back. I still ride but am more selective as to how far or where somewhat. I also ride more during the weekdays now since I have that option. I figure good practice for retirement. Oh wait I decided to retire next month anyways.

·
HD has nothin on a Custom
424 Posts
actually i've seen the opposite around these parts, i just got back from a 4 hour ride and seen dozens of bikes. Not just in a couple of big groups either, several individual bikes along with a few groups of 2 or 3.

·
Wannabe Poser
3,446 Posts
Don't get me wrong I see people all the time on bikes and there are quite a few out there riding. Just not in the numbers you would expect with the nicer weather finally upon us after a nasty winter. Could be New England was hit harder job wise?? no answer really.

·
I'm your Huckleberry
3,317 Posts
Haven't noticed any decrease here...though that could be skewed by this past winter (there are NO bikes out for most of the winter...you get used to that after awhile).

·
Politicians' Nightmare
1,871 Posts
I ride all winter, see almost zero bikers then. Now there is more sun and a few more bikers, but less than in previous years. The summer riding season is just around the bend as this is Memorial Day and that will tell the story.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Normal up here in Northern NH. Our neighbors to the north (Cananda) still coming down quite a bit.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Being in germany right now it's prime bike season. I have seen the largest variety of riders and bikes that I have ever seen, and being from the sunshine state where in 10 months I put 13,000 miles on my bike you see alot. Over here they get decked out in full leathers or other suits, bikes with hard cases or other bags to carry their things, quite a few with sidecars all out enjoying the twisties. German's don't seem to be very big into stunting or extreme knee dragging, maybe do to the almost non-exsistent speed limit on the autobahn. (Which alot of times is a death trap for bikes) But the weather here is not very good at all it's the 1st of june and it is currently 50 degress outside and it is about 9 am. But that doesn't stop all of us that can't wait to get out there and let that motor sing.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I still see plenty of riders on the weekends. Sadly, I hardly ever ride on the weekend, so I'm looking at them from the seat of my car.

·
'06 V2K, Baby!
2,325 Posts
Lots of bikes in the twisties yesterday in Colorado. Not sure, percentage wise, if it's more or less than other years.

For the cost of 5 gallons of gas (and one lunch at Wendy's) yesterday, I had a full day's entertainment as I rolled over ~230 miles of picturesque road.

Pretty reasonable if that's the only part of the cost you're measuring.

·
Rolling with the big dogs
1,019 Posts
I expected to see more riders yesterday. Guess they were grilling instead of riding. My hubby and I did both.

·
Premium Member
15,066 Posts
I see more people riding to work than in summers past. But no that you mention it, there does seem to be less bikes on the road each weekend.

·
My hat is made of tinfoil
20,826 Posts
I see the numbers riding growing year after year.
Not maybe as many flashy new bikes, as some are on a little older iron, but more riders out than before.

·
Bovine Scatology Artist
197 Posts
Hmmm, interesting. I have to agree, there does seem to be fewer bikes in general than there were, at least around here. I still see several, and most of my friends are still riding, but there hasn't been a good ride organized around here for the last several months. The weekends all seem to be taken up by cage time instead of bike time.

On the other hand, though, the weather around here has been fairly crappy, wet, rainy, and not really inviting for rides, so maybe it's a mitigating factor. . .

·
Bovine Scatology Artist
197 Posts
Double post. Sorry, too stupid to use the forums! :eek:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts