Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Just Finished Wiring My Bike And Every Thing Works All The Lights ,turns Over , No Smoke And No Sparks But The Ignition Box Got Very Hot To Touch So I Did What You Should Do Disconect And Have A "beer". I'm Not Sure Where To Start Looking. Does Anybody Know How To Test The Ignition Box It Is 15 Yrs Old Or Older. The Bike Has Been Apart That Long. The Bike Is A 1976 Kz900 Ltd B1 Thanks Basket76

·
The Cruising Gunsmith
1,459 Posts
Hard to say what the problem is.

I've been an electrical engineer for 30 years and have designed some parts of auto electrical systems (and also the CDI on my bike).

If you can post a shematic of the ignition module I could have a guess at what's cooking.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dyna Ignition 000

I Have Red,black,and White Hook To The Pick-up Green To Left Coil Cyl 2-3 , Black To Right Coil Cyld 1-4, Red To Power Side Of Coil (12 Volt Power Source) Black Wire To Ground Side Of Battery. The Coils Are New Accell Super Coils Any Help Would Be Appreciated!!!thanks Basket76

·
The Cruising Gunsmith
1,459 Posts
I don't know what kind of an ignition it is. If it is a CD ignition, they all use the same principle: inside there is a two transistor free running oscillator connected to a small transformer to jack up the 12V to about 400V. That is used to charge a capacitor and an SCR fires the cap across the coil primary.

The two transistors that do the 12V conversion are usually heatsinked to the metal box and if it is hot, that could mean just about anything inside is blown.

The most common failure mode of CDI ignitions is when they use a coil with too low of an impedance, the peak current from the capacitor is too high and the cap eventually shorts out.

Try to read the manufacturer's model number off the ignition module and see if the manufacturer has a schematic for it.

·
The Cruising Gunsmith
1,459 Posts
One thing I forgot to mention: if this is a dedicated motorcylce ignition, the active circuitry might very well be "potted" which is to say molded in epoxy or some similar material to prevent it vibrating to death. If it's a potted module, you can't change components anyway. It's toast.

If the bike does have points, you could just restore the original ignition.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I Just Finished Wiring My Bike And Every Thing Works All The Lights ,turns Over , No Smoke And No Sparks But The Ignition Box Got Very Hot To Touch So I Did What You Should Do Disconect And Have A "beer". I'm Not Sure Where To Start Looking. Does Anybody Know How To Test The Ignition Box It Is 15 Yrs Old Or Older. The Bike Has Been Apart That Long. The Bike Is A 1976 Kz900 Ltd B1 Thanks Basket76
I'm confused here...
By "ignition box", do you mean "coil"?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Ignition Box I Was Talking About Is A Dyna000 Electronic Ignition Box. I've Sent It To Dyna Along With The Pick Up Plate For Testing. I Am Thinking That If It Is Bad I Might Go Back To Stock Points , But Can I Use Accel Super Coils With Points Or Are They To Hot? Thanks For All Imput Basket76

·
The Cruising Gunsmith
1,459 Posts
FWIW, a "universal" aftermarket CDI ignition system can be added to any engine with a coil and points. That's what is on mine, but it doesn't do anything fancy like fiddle with the timing. It just puts out a much hotter spark so it runs better and starts easier, it also makes the points last forever because they have no voltage on them anymore.

The universal CDI's are a four or five wire connect system: you disconnect the +12V from the + side of the coil and run it into the +12V feed to the CDI. The CDI sends a hot wire out to the + side of the coil. The points line goes into the CDI box to be used to fire the SCR, and you ground the neg side of the coil. There is also a ground line to the CDI box, and that's the whole thing.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks For All The Info Guys! I Talked To Dyna Today And My Unit Was Sold New In 1990 As You Would Expect It Was Toast. I Bought A Dyna S To Put In The Bike. Hopefully Going To Fire The Bike On 1/20/08 I Can't Wait!!

Thanks Again Basket76

1 - 12 of 12 Posts