·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed my new Hard Krome exhaust yesterday afternoon. I actually
took the time to get the bike dynoed while it was bone stock and then I
took it back to have it dynoed after I installed the pipe. I will be
installing a new air intake system over the weekend and then I'll take
it back to my buddies shop for a final dyno.

Without further adu here are the results.

Bone stock from the factory the bike made 62.38 rwhp and 79.15 ft-lbs of
torque.

After the pipe was installed the bike made 64.82 rwhp and 82.50 ft-lbs of torque

This doesn't seem like a big improvement until you look at the power curve and see that at about 3,000 rpm the bike begins to start making more power than stock and then at 4,000 rpm the bike makes approximately 6 rwhp more than stock and approximately 7 pound feet of torque more than stock and then it begins to tail off to where the stock bike is at power wise...I suspect that's because it's not getting enough air/fuel up on top to keep that horsepower gain.

But not bad for a bolt on, plus the pipe sounds awsome...My neighbors are just going to love me. Anyway, we'll see how much of a difference this air intake will make in the coming week. I'll post pics and video at some point in the future.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
What bike is this? And which HK's did you get? Can't wait to see pics! My stock pipes will be a thing of the past soon, so I love to read these posts.

BTW, did you insall the pipes yourself and, if so, how did it go? I've heard that if you stick with their flanges (rather than using the stock ones as they recommend) it's a painles job.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

bt rides a meanie ken

intake will pump those #'s up

what was the air temp on the run? and did they SAE correct those #'s

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I ride a 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Ken. I also drag race/ride a 2000 Suzuki Hayabusa with over 200 rwhp.

I did install the pipes myself and the install was rather painless except for the part where the instructions were backward. That cost me about 45 minutes of time. If I hadn't run into that problem it probably would have taken me less than an hour to remove the stock system and replace it with the Hard Krome 3" staggered straights...None the less it sounds great to me and it looks so much better than stock. I did have to contact Hard Krome yesterday because the chrome on the billet end caps started to blister a bit. They said no problem and are sending me new ones next week. They said they had a problem with a bad batch. Not a bad company to do business with in my opinion. They just need to correct the diagram in those instructions.

As for the numbers...Those are Standard numbers. The SAE corrected numbers were slightly lower of course. With sportbikes we like to use the Standard numbers so that we can compare apples to apples from dyno machine to dyno machine.

Stock run weather details...
Air temp was 85.34 degrees
Barometric pressure 29.88 in-Hg
Humidity was 30%
SAE correction factor was 1.00

Hard Krome run weather details...
Air temp was 88.4 degrees
Barometric pressure was 29.97 in-Hg
Humidity was 32%
SAE correction factor was 1.00

I'm gonna wait until next week to begin the install of the air intake system and the TFI as it looks much more complicated than the pipe install. I'm going to do it in the evening after work that way I'll be able to talk to them if I run into any problems. I'm on the east coast and SPC is on the west coast. They are 3 hours behind me.

If anyone can offer any helpful tips on installing the TFI unit I'd greatly appreciate it and if you can offer any tips on installing the ForceWinder air intake unit I'd greatly appreciate that as well.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
605 Posts
hey bt reaves that would make for a good photo shoot, the 1600 and the hayabusa, lets see em soon :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is there a way to post pictures within these posts...I've got the photos, I just don't have an easy way to host them. How can I just load a couple of images in my post?

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
You can only attach pictures in the "Want to show off your ride?" forum. If you want a good place to host some images, check out http://www.imageshack.us -- they offer a decent amount of space, no ads, and will generate the code for most forum posts.

To display an image, you must surround the URL pointing to the image with
tags. For example:

[code:1:79603d8ad1]
[/code:1:79603d8ad1]

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the tip and with out further adu...Here are some pics of my Hayabusa and my louder angrier Mean Streak!

This pic was from this years FastLane Cycles horsepower shootout in which I came in 2nd place with 163rwhp...I came in 2nd to a guy who made 410 rwhp with a turboed Kawasaki Ninja ZX-12R. I can't complain though...My motor is normally aspirated and it makes just over 210rwhp now all motor no power adders...You an see the actually results here if you like. http://gwfweb.com/cycles/040613/index.htm Just click on results.

IMG]http://img60.exs.cx/img60/3360/CIMG1083.jpg[/IMG]

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
*drool* I love those pipes.

I've been reading up on HK's, VH's, and Cobras for my Vulcan. I still like the 3" Big Shots the best. Still contemplating the noise increase, walking the family up when I leave for work, and my lovely neighbors :twisted:

Very pretty. Thanks for the pics!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Great bike BT. I just ordered the Tornado air kit and the TFI, along with a mustang seat and some chrome goodies. I held off on the HK staggered pipes. Now that I see the pictures I think I have to get them. There has been a push around here (Laconia NH) against loud pipes and tickets for bikes with out baffles and sometimes they use decibel meters.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Believe me when I tell you the pipes look and sound great. My neighbors don't hate me yet, but they probably will eventually and I HAVE THE BAFFLES IN! i just finished installing a marble into the hose that the reed valve gets it's air from and no more horrible backfiring on deceleration.

Soon I'll be putting on my air intake kit...I'll post the results.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
WOW!

I have to move away from KS! I haven't seen anything like that around here! Our "Local" dealers are adding on $3K to what the Retail is listed on the web. They are greedy, and don't care. to quote a salesman, "If you don't want to pay our price try to find one someplace else." I think a trip on IFLYSOUTHWEST is in order. Even just to go see some bikes it would be worth the trip.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Air Intake results

Hey Btreaves,

What year Meany do U have?
What are your TFI settings..Green, Yellow, Red, RPM?
Can you take me through the steps to remove all the STUFF
in the picture?
I have an 02 Meany with Muzzy drag pipes a Cadman Air induction
kit with 2 K&N round filters, and the TFI.
Thanks,
Ride Safe!
MOF

·
Registered
47 Posts
bt, is the ground clearance the same or less and wotz all this about backfiring?
They are 1500 meanee pipes fitted to a 1600 aren't they, as I fancy fitting a set to my 2004 1600 meanee.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have a 2004 Mean Streak, but I can't tell you all the settings and stuff...You'll have to tune it on your own or give the company a call for their baseline settings.

Ground clearance is as good or better than stock and my bike doesn't backfire at all. It runs like a stripped ape and looks like a beauty queen if I must say so myself.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Well I'm really sold on these pipes, now all I goota do is find out where in the Uk I can buy them. cheers bt

1 - 18 of 18 Posts