Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Vulcan 800 Classic
292 Posts
gotta love california.......... lol. that is one state im glad I don't and won't ever live in. I feel sorry for the californians

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Have you heard about their latest moves on trucks?

All trucks have to be brought up to 2007 standards to go to the ports. All refers have to brought up to 2007 standards to operate in CA. No idling for more than 5 minutes, and if you have an APU, it has to be up to 2007 standards on 2007 and newer trucks. All trucks have to be upgraded to 2003 standards (which includes EGR) to operate in CA, and all trucks have to be brought up to 2007 standards by 2010.

So...you guys in CA planning on coming out to the border to get all your food, etc?

·
Gear Head
434 Posts
I Love Cali, great scenery, lovely weather, and the people I've met there are nice.....but the emissions laws are pure and plain psychotic crap.

At this rate, in five years, you'll need a special emissions pass to enter the state if your vehicle isn't to their standards.

Also, about the trucks and no idling for more than five minutes.....what about refrigerated trucks that require the engine to run to maintain perishable commodities at proper temp?

·
nu2kawi
2,707 Posts
At this rate, in five years, you'll need a special emissions pass to enter the state if your vehicle isn't to their standards.

A polluter pass to enter Ca. ...now theres a thought, see you have the thinking of our legislators!!

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
wasn't too long ago that west coast chopppers aka jessie james had to pay a huge fine for the bikes he makes emmissions.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I support the state's continuing efforts to reduce air pollution, but I think the marginal benefit of these restrictions will be negligible, and bad for business. There are good reasons why businesses have been fleeing California, and this is one of them. I agree with the poster who called this psychotic; it is. It's just like when Jesse James/West Coast Choppers was charged with violating the emissions laws on his custom bikes, he fixed it, and was still fined at a rate of something like $500,000 per violation. This is the same crap that's happening in Europe, with their Euro3 emission laws. That's why all new bikes have those horrendously ugly and huge mufflers.

·
37,387 Posts
all in the name of the mythical man made global warming

some dogooder somewhere is sleeping easier tonite

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I genuinely don't understand how people can continue to believe climate change is not real.

Check out this web site:

Climate Debate Daily

At least give it some thought. Have you noticed that "global warming" has been dropped, in favor of "climate change?" Do you wonder why? Did you see that NASA, a couple of months ago, had to admit they had made errors in their data entry and the hottest year on record was actually 1934? Have you seen that there's been no global warming, when you include sea temperatures, since 1998? Did you notice the report that said methane produced by ruminant animals is a much larger greenhouse gas problem than all the automobiles in the world? Did you know that Greenland was much warmer and had much less ice coverage 1,000 years ago than it does now? Have you seen the report that showed that Mt. Kilamanjaro actually had most of its snow loss before 1956? Did you see the report that said that some well-known scientists now think global warming has peaked, that it was due to higher sun-spot activity, and that by 2050 a new ice age may be a big concern for us? And if you haven't heard these things, do you have any idea why you might not have heard them?

I'm all for conservation and clean air, and those are good goals. But will the same people who today are saying about the WMD in Iraq, "Bush lied, people died," be saying the same thing about the alarmists who want us to take steps today that would result in a lot more global poverty, starvation, and misery, if the whole climate thing proves to be so much hype?

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
I genuinely don't understand how people can continue to believe climate change is not real.
This planet's climate has been changing since the begining. Now all of a sudden it's our falt? Oh, that's right. It's Dynojet's falt!

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Climate change is very real. Man's role in it has yet to be even remotely understood let alone proved. The Earth's climate is and always has been in a constant state of change resulting from a large number of factors of which man's contribution is but only one of these factors (iceage followed by global warming, followed by another iceage, on and on and on). Even if we completely eliminate manmade greenhouse gas emissions, the climate will continue to change. I find it very arrogant to think that we actually understand enough to pretend to know how to alter this change.

Remember the huge fire in Yellowstone back in 80s. These fires were a direct result of us humans trying to fix the natural order of things. For decades prior to the 80s we thought it was our job to preserve the pristine Yellowstone forests. We put out every fire that started, regardless of the cause. This led to a huge buildup of organinc matter in the soil and an overgrowth of underbrush. This in turn provided fuel for the fires and devastated Yellowstone. If we would have left nature alone, naturally occuring fires would have kept things in check and would have kept the amount of organic material from building up. My point in all of this is that our trying to fix nature more often results in screwing it up.

I am not saying that we should not be concerned with the environment or take steps to minimize our impact. However, when politics results in the majority of people believing theory as fact and stiffling research into alternate theories by limiting funding, well let me just say the Dark Ages happened for this very reason and can indeed return.

Finally, let me say that the current climate change that we are experiencing may well be caused by us humans and we should take all reasonable steps to minimize our potential impact, but it has yet to proved and only a careful review of all data over the next several hundred years can prove it. My only issue in all of this is that we are pretending that something is fact when it is just theory.

And by stiffling research into other theories we may miss the solution, if there is one or even needs to be one.

·
Vulcan 800 Classic
292 Posts
global warming is a crock.... I don't know how people can't see that its a pattern.... The earth went through this very same thing millions of years ago. I beleive we need to try and limit pollutioin cause its not good for anybody but i don't by into the global warming, when places are have lower temps than ever before, temps are still getting below 0 and record snowfalls are happening everywhere. Droughts happen every where, couple years ago we went through a drought got hardly any rain for a few years and now were finally getting rain again and plenty of it. Its all patterns, that go around and come around.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Dynojet got fined!? What the hell!? Great...just great. Now here's my next question (and it's an honest one): Do you all think that Akropavic, Two-Brothers, Muzzy or any of the other after-market exhaust systems are next?

·
37,387 Posts
didn't say climate change, i said man made global warming.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I am so glad that I am not an OTR driver anymore.Ca was always a crapshoot. Go there and risk a hefty fine for a minor infraction or stay away and not make any money.The truck I drive now is so gutless because of EGR that it takes me 15 minutes longer on a windy night to make a 116 mile trip.Any fuel savings are negated because I keep my foot flat on the floor all night just to maintain the posted speed limit (70).Just like the weather all of the Ca regs will blow east.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts