Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought an 07 kawasaki ZX-14. The owner had two identical bikes. One was wrecked(no wiring harness), the other had a blown engine. He took the engine from the wrecked one, slapped it into the good frame. Now I have it, and it doesn't want to start. It turns over. Everything looks in good working order. The previous owner says that the ECU needs to be flashed. But before I pay EVEN MORE money, is this really the solution? Please help me.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
No reason to Flash an ECU unless it's got nothing in to start with just to get a Bike to run it should run with a stock Map.
If it hasn't got a stock Map the Bike should still run all but not perfectly but that can be sorted at a later date when you prove it runs and is in good order mechanically.
Like you say don't throw money at it unless needed.
Q1.
When you crank the motor does the Fi light flash ?

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
The Fi light flashing when you try to start the Bike signifies a problem.
You should also see in the display FI ERROR with a number but regardless follow this below.
Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
7 Posts
@GREENISBEST i followed the procedure and it's displaying "error code 23".
I looked it up and it's apparently the camshaft position sensor. So I did an Ohms test on it, and it showed 418 Ohms. Which is in the parameters.

This rabbit hole is getting deeper and deeper bro.... 🤔🧐

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
418 is on the low side of spec but next test would be a peak voltage test and not many folks have a meter or adaptor to carry out this.
But at least we have a culprit as the Cam position sensor is a known dodgy component, ZX12R's ofter fail for no reason other than they can't be asked anymore :rolleyes:
Also make sure the wiring to the sensor is good.
Was that the only code ? Codes will cycle lowest to highest number in order.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
You should see 5vdc on Yellow/Red wire with Ignition on.

Also make sure you have a good ground path on the Red/Black wire, Do a continuity check.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Looking for the reading disconnected and 3v is a bit suspect.
Can you check the circuit back and see if theres any bad connection.
I have a feeling the sensor is faulty tho 😟

·
Registered
7 Posts
So I have to admit.... I misread my meter. I thought it read 418 ohm..... When in fact it read .418 ohm...... Needless to say, I have a bad cam sensor.

And that would prevent it from starting? Because it also threw an "error code 21" which is the crankshaft sensor.

I'm curious.... Could all this be solved by getting a whole new ECU? And if so, would it be plug and play?

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
A new ECU would not cure the bad sensors.
You need to check Voltage on the sensor as you did with the cam sensor, Have you a Manual ?
Is there any damage to the Crank sensor cover ?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts