Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy of mine, who is a big car freak has recently ventured into the electronics of the car to tweak the fuel/air mixture. He will be replacing his old ECU with one which alows user input, for customization via Laptop & a mapping program. It is my understanding that you can get ECU's for any application whether it be for running the car richer or leaner. Now for the bike question. Im thinking of venturing into the same field with my bike.

:?: Has anybody ever heard of replacing a bike ECU with a performance replacement ECU? any stories or advice would be nice

Thnx

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

kawi-i use this very system on my car to tune-there is pc program called LS1 edit that can be tied to the cars computor via laptop and changes can be made to air/fuel,knock retard,etc.
in simple terms.i know on some fords you just burn another chip for custom tuning and a tool called the predetor is used to make all the settings change.on a bike i've never seen a program that operates like that but there could be one out there! i thought if you install some thing like a power commander III on a fuel injected bike it takes care of everything by its self.
tuning on my LS1 motor has helped develop more h/p-that's for sure :twisted:

·
Registered
5 Posts
ECU Mania

The ECU is a bad area to experiment with. A power Commander can boost performance on a fuel injected machine, but without a Dyno base run and subsequent tuning dyno runs you will be shooting in the dark. If you are willing to do the dyno's then I would recommend the Power Commander. Otherwise you would be better off looking at other performance mods that might be more proven. Reduce weight, pipes from a manufacturer that has done the research.... or lookup Moto Tune in google and port that thing !!!

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

someone correct me :?: i thought if you change pipes and intake on a f/i bike you pretty much had to use a commander to compensate for a lean condition(like re-jetting a carbed bike)
a guy i ride with has vtx1800 and his had to have it because of a lean condition that could not be corrected by the factory ecu - i've never owned a fuel injected bike but it won't be too long :twisted: :lol:

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
ECU...

STarting from my van and working towards the bike issue...My ford 2000 Windstar muffler had the muffler changed to a Turbo muffler. Since it is Behind the Cat and the exhaust sensor it doesn't need to be reprogrammed...it will automatically readjust itself. I think that the same can be said for the motorcycle including the changes made in airfilters and exhaust pipes because the sensors are behind not infront of the air filters (Mass Airflow sensor) and the muffler is way infront of hte muffler. Beartooth Kawasaki has an address for Kawasaki Dealer in my area that is ONLY Suzuki...MAYBE, since I sent them an update they will correct it at Beartooth as well as the NINJA ZX-10R that has the specs for a NINJA 500R listed)...Anyway...ADAM SMITH RacesHis Suzuki all over the country and he has to make laptop changes to his bike...Shoud you wnat to talk to a SUZUKI guy...Adam Smith W 913-782-8787. www.olatheSuzuki.com
Hope that this helps...

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

i was told suki's will re-adjust to intake changes without to much performance loss but the kawi's and honda's don't adjust as readily,and everyone i ride with that is f/i either has a commander or is getting one to get their performance back-yes the bikes will run but not good
as for the car engines i can tell you from experience that virtually no car will need any ecu adjustment from a muffler change.but intake air flow will lean out a car or a bike.i have spent many hours playing with different air boxes and maf's on my car to achieve max h/p,and doing something as simple as removing a maf screen will screw up the whole tune.my car has been tuned for the best air/fuel mix with my current set-up any dyno runs will show even the smallest changes to intake flow-at least on the LS1 engine anyway-you just can't increase intake air flow without changing the fuel mix :wink:

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
SEE-SAW

I agree that messing with a MAF screen will totally mess up things! However changing things in front of the MAF such as the amount of ram air or even the type of filter it can adjust to...pulling the air from under the hood (hot) versus the cooler outside air will change things too. It is a fine balancing act.
OFF the Subject my 1974 Camaro doesn't have all that but I have to watch what I want to do. My car doesn't run that well in town. I have it set up for the OPEN road. IF I had a way to adjust carb settings and timing then things would be great...
The Windstar had a muffler that goes from frame to frame...48*26*8, and had a leak in it...a brand new out of the box Mazda trubo was $27.00 installed...simple and inexpensive choice..it still runs through a factory resonator so there is no noticable noise difference.
Kawasaki has some racing teams...then again you could work it from the ECU backwards to the companies and read their propaganda...does Beartooth sponsor any racing teams? www.sportrider.com advertizes that they hav all sorts of numbers on dyno runs...etc...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts