Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
"HavKaw" Will Travel
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I had to make a quick run to a convenience store for some items. While pulling in and parking I noticed about 10 or so bikes gathered around a fuel island, (fueling and talking)... I got what I needed and prepared to leave. A couple of bikes were in front of me as we prepared to enter the roadway. One of the group pulled up along side me and asked, "are you in this group".. I replied, "no". He then pulled in front of me at an angle cutting me off. While I allowed this action, it ruffled my feathers a bit. I don't to a lot of group riding but I cannot imagine cutting someone off like that.
Because I don't do a lot of group riding (seldom) at least for now, should I have just let the entire group pass? This would have taken considerable time. Thanks for any advice.

·
Serial Sport Rider
638 Posts
IDK if it's really a matter of etiquette, but for a host of other reasons, if you don't get out before them, it's best to wait until after they are all gone. A good rule of thumb to remember is never get in the middle of someone else's group ride.

·
Rolling with the big dogs
1,019 Posts
This is probably a bad example but I think (and I'm no expert) what you did was like cutting into a funeral procession. They were a group and they probably worked out which riders go where (like inexperienced riders in third position whatever). Getting separated on the road is common I guess but man, cutting in right out of a fuel stop would get some people upset.

·
"HavKaw" Will Travel
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It did not appear the group was leaving together. In other words, a very large gap between the two preparing to enter the road while others were still on the other side of the station under the canopy. I can see where he might have thought i was trying to join the group. Maybe if they had all pulled out at the same time... Not that big of deal, but I look forward to future group rides and just trying to figure out what's the best way to handle the situation.

·
"HavKaw" Will Travel
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Either way, my action was construed as invading perhaps... thanks for the input and lesson learned!

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
Sounds like the guy had a bug up his arse, if you ask me. If I encounter anyone with that sort of attitiude, I'm happy to travel in the opposite direction.

Chalk it up to running into a loser of an individual, and move on.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Sounds like a combination of things on the other guy's part: polite enough to ask if you're in the group--but not polite enough to ask if he could get in front of you to stay with them. Knows enough about himself to want to stay with his group--but doesn't know who is in the group. Knows how to stay in formation--but can't get into formation if there's any other situation than a completely open road with no other traffic.

Sounds like that guy doesn't have a lot of experience and the fact that he asked if you were in the group at least showed somekind etiquette (like maybe he worships this group and farts at everyone else). It's a tough one to call because Sunchild is correct about "intruding" (I would've waited 'til they were all out--but that's because I don't want to be stuck with them) but if there was a big gap between riders like you said, chalk it up as an inexperienced rider.

There was this one time when I was riding with a couple of friends and 3 1-percenters were making a left in front of us to get into traffic. The first two pulled in between my two friends in front of me and the third one couldn't make the turn until he was behind me. I pulled to the right of the lane and motioned for the guy to pass me to join his two buddies. This guy with a leather vest, long silver hair, bandana around his neck riding a serious custom chopper looked at me and said, "...thank you very much sir!" and waved. So really, 99% of all bikers are alright.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts