Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok after my g/f and I finished voting this morning, I began to pull out of the tight parking spot at our polling location. Our polling location was at an apt. complex, and the only places to park were the guest spots at the front (about 5 parking spaces total... dunno WHAT the heck they were thinking making that apt complex a polling location).

So anyways, I fail to see that some dude parked his red Kawasaki Ninja in between my car and the median - about 20 ft. behind my car. I accidentally tip over his bike while backing up. His bike falls over on its right side.

I decide to be a nice guy, so I walked back into the polling location, ASK around "Who rides the red motorcycle?", tell the guy what had happened, and offer to sit there and wait while he finishes voting.

Dude is kind of pissed, but he should be a bit grateful because 99.9% of people would just prop the bike up and drive off. My g/f takes pics of the bike, and the only visible signs of damage are slight scuffing on the kickstand and the rubber of the rigth handlebar. Anyways, the guy checks it out and says throttle control on the right handlebar doesn't work correctly - he says it was bent or something. So he can't drive it. I offer to give him a ride to work, but he says no problem - because he actually LIVES at this complex and thus can store away his bike right there and take his car to work.

He told me that it would cost around $500 to fix the throttle. My question to you bike experts is - how much does it really cost to fix this? It's a red Kawasaki Ninja, not sure the model # - but it has the words 100 in it. I did a search on eBay motors, and whole used Ninja GPZ-100's (or something like that) are going for around $3k.

$500 seems a bit excessive, especially since all his motorcycle did was tip over on the right side. I could have done the same damage if I was reading a newspaper and accidentally walked into his bike.

I admit it was my fault I hit his bike, but if he hadn't been parked illegally right in back of my car this never would have happened. Especially since he LIVES at the complex, and for some reason decided to take his bike to the front and park it illegally while he votes.

So if anyone has any experiences with motorcycle repairs, I'd just like your opinion to make sure this guy doesn't screw me over.

Thanks in advance your help. I'm a former Honda automobile mechanic, but I really have no experience with motorcycles.

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
tell this guy to shove it !! there is no way his throttle controls cost 500$. a 100$ if not less,even if you bent the clip on it would still be less than 250$ in parts. i would actually do a couple things before i gave him ANY MONEY WHAT SO EVER !!!
find out what type of bike it is.
go to the local bike shop and ask them to get prices for you
check YOURSELF and make sure the throttle doesnt actually work
loosen the screws in the switch pod and pull the whole assembly towards the end of the handlebar, it may have just pushed the assembly up and now the end of the grip is rubbing causeing it to not return right.
wish i was there to help ya out cause i would put this dipshit in his place. actually if he is in the wrong about where he parked then take pictures incase he decides to haul your ass to court,insurance etc.
good luck and thanks for being and honest person but as you see honest people dont win. :cry:

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
First of all thank you for being an honest person. I think the guy has been smoking the jamba with his $500 estimate. If it is truly only the throttle control, bar end etc I can't see that being more than $150. He is definately bending you over.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts