Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
***** Supporter
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my new 900 LT last month and the dealer told me it comes with the 12volt hook up so i can plug in a vest or ? Well I took the seat off and I could not find a plug in for one . Does anyone know where it is and what it looks like .. the plug i mean ? And what kind of wattage vest is good for the cool weather?

·
Poser Proud®
3,778 Posts
There is one set of "contacts" in the headlight housing, and another under the seat in front of the battery. They are just the blade type connectors. I set up a power outlet (read cigarette lighter) to the one in the headlight so I could run my gps/xmradio/whatever and it works really well. Just know that they are always "hot" I blew a couple of fuses because I got lazy when hooking up the outlet.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
It looks like a large blade connector, but it's actually a double-female bullet receptacle.

Get insulated male bullet connectors and you can plug two items into each set of leads.

It is a 10 amp circuit... I don't know what the vests draw, but 10 amps is about 120 watts... I wouldn't go over 100.

·
***** Supporter
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Rich , I did find those two you were talking about , So is one of them a power and the other a ground ? or both a power .Are they run off a 10 amp fuse to ? I see they are not directly conected to the battery.thanks again for your help.

Vanisland

·
Poser Proud®
3,778 Posts
It looks like a large blade connector, but it's actually a double-female bullet receptacle.

Get insulated male bullet connectors and you can plug two items into each set of leads.

It is a 10 amp circuit... I don't know what the vests draw, but 10 amps is about 120 watts... I wouldn't go over 100.
Wow, that was stupid of me.:oops: It sure is a double bullet. Thanks Rich, now I know why it felt a little loose all the time.

·
Deeppurple52
2,072 Posts
Everyone knows two bullets are more effective than one! Just couldn't resist.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Thanks Rich , I did find those two you were talking about , So is one of them a power and the other a ground ? or both a power .Are they run off a 10 amp fuse to ? I see they are not directly conected to the battery.thanks again for your help.
One's a hot, one's a ground, though you could simply use the frame as a ground.
The hot goes to the main wiring harness where it ties into the second set coming from the headlight bucket and into the fuse block.

The 10a fuse may or may not be installed by the dealer. Mine wasn't, but I have heard of some that have been, so I suspect that none come from the factory like that and some dealers plug in a fuse.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts

·
***** Supporter
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yes I have the flat blades there and they are the large ones to ...Thanks again for your help.

Vanisland
2007 900 LT

·
President, L7 Club
462 Posts
Manufacturers of heated clothing for m/c's are aware of the amperage limits of their intend target markets, so just do a google search or ??? for heated motorcycle clothing, and you'll get hits like this:

Tour Master

there's a few quality brands out there to chose from. Have fun shopping!!!

DS

1 - 11 of 11 Posts