Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
I sure hope not until there is a practical way to charge the batteries in the field.

A friend showed up for hunting this year with a highly touted electric buggy. He never thought about the impact of low temperatures on battery capacity, or where he was going to get the power for the lengthy and frequent recharges. Needless to say, he got 11 miles down the trail before he had to dig out his HT and call for a tow.

Then it was parked for the entire week because charging with a car alternator will ruin the batteries. The generators we use in camp are unsuitable for charging a deep cycle system, they would have to run for hours and hours to recharge one of these, and that would defeat the idea behind the electric powered UTV.

Good idea for around the yard or golf course, but completely impractical for anything away from commercial power.

John Deere has an electric Gator that appears to be based on the 3010 chassis with the John Deere front end, and green paint. Worthless anywhere but the yard too!

I suppose if the battery technology ever has a practical breakthrough to allow recharge times in minutes, and useful life of around 10 hours under load, then electrics will be practical. But run time in minutes does not make the grade for most Mule owners.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply to a new member, long time lurker.

I keep looking at the BB Buggy, concept is great, but the technology is not there yet and the price is too high.

For a work machine, the Mule Trans appears to be the "best bang for the buck". Anybody have experience with the Benz silencing system?

Thanks

·
Registered
628 Posts
I know of a company in North Carolina that works with high capacity Li-Po batteries and brushless high output motors. They have made a UTV system I talked to them about. They can't match those numbers RCW, but they were pretty impressive; about a 2 hour charge time (off of the commercial grid of course) and about a 4 hour run time. Their first model was 4WD "trans" type UTV with the batteries under the back seat. It was interesting and I tried to get them to let me go test it out for them. LOL!

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Electric motors have a real torque advantage, just like steam. The full rated power it there as soon as you turn them on to full voltage!

I have seen a home built hybrid UTV using an Onan diesel generator on a wet cell battery pack to run the electric motors. It was very economical and would run all day on a quart of diesel. The downside was the available vehicle load carrying capacity was consumed with the power system, so it could only handle about a 200 lb payload. A fat guy like me would have to walk!

But, unless the Forest Service starts planting "current bushes" the ability to use a true electric deep in the rough will simply not happen. We routinely ride 30 miles one way to just get in to camp, then use our Mules all season long to haul loads, make trips out, etc. The present state of electrics just will not handle that kind of use without frequent recharges.

Or, perhaps the BLM will stay on its current course and close the rest of the public lands to motorized access, and then electric will have a market as people ride around their yards, being that will be the only remaining place to use one!

I suppose down in Texas where they hunt in private zoos called hunting clubs, and only go about five miles a day both out and back to shoot the confined animal at the feed trough, the electrics would have a place today.

When Al Gore sells the G-V and uses commercial flights, trades the Cadillac Escalade for a econopot, closes his mansion and moves into a home like regular people, and starts practicing what he preaches, then maybe electrics will become a reality! OR, maybe that time is also called a cold day in Hell!

·
Registered
628 Posts
I can see other areas where the electric would be preferrable. Most of the hunting areas around here are less than 5 miles from a drop-off point. Getting to the stand and back out with your quarry isn't a problem.

Electrics are silent AND odorless, off-road performance is comparable, and payload is similar.

Range is really the only drawback. For the folks who use their machines in the extreme conditions that you do, the price of fuel isn't an issue. For everyone else who could get in and back out in about 40 miles, the electric units would be sufficient

I found the company I was talking about's website. They are based out of Mooresville, NC. The UTV is the LiV Bulldog
LiV™ BULLDOG | EVII

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll drink to all of that, especially the last paragraph.

I like the quite part of electric, not to sneak up on game but two legged predators. I have given up on all the green stuff....too politicial. It will never happen unless they get a payoff.

Surprised I haven't had a comment on the Benz Silent Rider.

Bill

·
Registered
442 Posts
I'll drink to all of that, especially the last paragraph.

I like the quite part of electric, not to sneak up on game but two legged predators. I have given up on all the green stuff....too politicial. It will never happen unless they get a payoff.

Surprised I haven't had a comment on the Benz Silent Rider.

Bill
Got some deer hunters with money and they hunt deer from their Mules with a camera, they all have the Benzs silent rider on their Mules, what ever Rich John puts on his Mule, Rich Peter MUST have that on his Mule. They cut the sound of the exhaust down to where you bearly can hear the Mule engine, about all you can hear is the ice and wine coolers sloshing around in their coolers, and of course their OOOSSES and AWWWEEESS when they see anything move, along with the stereo CD players.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
okeduc104,

You are saying that the Benz works. I don't think $150 is too much to pay for quite........

Gonna write a book of all the excuses I get from trespassers, ..and I prefer coldbeer and Willie on the stereo.

Bill

·
Registered
104 Posts
The battery operated machine shown on this link, LiVâ„¢ BULLDOG | EVII ,
seems to be headed in the right direction for someone who doesn't need a long haul machine that will be at the camp for days on end. description on size has to be off some. hard to believe this machine would be on 34 inches wide, actually if so would be dangerous in my opinion.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.