1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Hopefully this is a simple problem.

Background:

Was a new 2007 Ninja 500. Ran fine. Stopped for the winter. Replaced battery a few weeks ago for this Spring/Summer season. It currently rides fine.

Problem:

The gauge lights and rear lights/brake lights are on the same 10A fuse. I noticed these lights were out, so I replaced the fuse. Turn turn- lights come on ! Yay, simple enough. Start engine. IMMEDIATELY the gauge lights and rear lights go out. Check fuse- sure enough, it's blown. That's weird. Stick in new fuse. Lights come on again- with the key turned, engine not started. Start engine- immediately blows the fuse once again.

Thoughts:

The battery I replaced it with came from the dealership, and perfectly matched my original, so I assume it's ok. Only thing is, it's the only change I've done recently, which means either the battery's at fault or it's just a coincidence. What do you guys think? What could be the problem- could the battery be pushing too much power through or something?

Keep in mind it's my first bike and I'm a total newbie at this. What else should I check - what could be causing this particular fuse to instantly burn out like that ?

Thanks for any help !

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
you have a short somewhere that needs to be repaired. look first at your tail light wires, its likely there is a problem in that area.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Now a good question might be...Why does it only blow when the engine is running? You may have an insulation rub or pinch through that only shorts out when it is subjected to engine vibration.

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
Make up a simple tester:
Go the the nearest auto parts store and buy a turn signal flasher(the kind in the metal can with two terminals),go to Radio Shack or any good electronic store and purchase some 16 gauge wire and some terminals to fit the turn signal flasher(usually 1/4" wide and blue in color).

Crimp/solder the terminals on one end of the wires(2 each 6" long), on the other end solder the ends of some broken blade style fuses to fit the fuse holder. with your tester now assembled, plug it into the place the fuse blew out of. turn on the ignition switch and if the short is still there the flasher will "Click" until you find out which places it's shorted at.

A 12 volt light or buzzer can also be used in trouble shooting this. A short can be at several places: in the handle bar switch pods,where a wire has rubbed against the frame, inside the headlight housing in the connectors,under the seat where a wire bundle has vibrated through the insulation, and where the main wire bundle goes up toward the headlight housing. Hopefully you won't have to peel back the main bundle insulation to find the short.

I'd disconnect the ignition coils during the troubleshooting as they will get hot and possibly overheat due to no air flow.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
IF you have an integrated turn signal setup in place of rear turn signals, thats very likely the culprit due to poor installation of wiring.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is not something he did, or a battery issue. I just found this post today because MY '07 ex500 blew a fuse last night. Lost cluster and tail lights.
Sound familiar?
Are you holding the brake when you start the motor? Because I've found that my fuse doesn't blow until I hit either brake, than...out.
This bike is bone stock, even battery, with 4kmi. on it. Never had an issue until last night.
Has anyone else out there heard of this problem? This cannot be a coincidence.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey guys,

Thanks much for the help. Sorry I haven't updated recently, had a break in this week I've been dealing with that's occupied most of my time, haven't had time to work on the bike as a result.

I'll build that tester this week and see if I can find the short.

sfair - I don't think it's the engine vibration, as it shorts immediately upon pressing start, without fail.

MFolks - Is there any info anywhere on how to disconnect ignition coils ? Sorry, again .. first time doing maintenance on a bike. :)

Lawn Masters - The turn signals are separate from the rear light/brake light and independent I believe.

I do have an update - the bike doesn't seem to want to turn over now. It won't start at all, just keeps trying when I hit the starter. Is this related? Perhaps I fried the starter or something when holding it too much trying to start it ? I probably hold it for about 4 seconds or so, stop, try again a couple times.

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
If you have the newer "stick coils" I'd imagine there are smaller wires going to the primary side of the coils. These are the ones I mentioned to disconnect preventing the ignition coils from overheating during testing to find this electrical short causing the fuse to blow.

·
Registered
32 Posts
One thing

Hey Guys,

Hopefully this is a simple problem.

Background:

Was a new 2007 Ninja 500. Ran fine. Stopped for the winter. Replaced battery a few weeks ago for this Spring/Summer season. It currently rides fine.

Problem:

The gauge lights and rear lights/brake lights are on the same 10A fuse. I noticed these lights were out, so I replaced the fuse. Turn turn- lights come on ! Yay, simple enough. Start engine. IMMEDIATELY the gauge lights and rear lights go out. Check fuse- sure enough, it's blown. That's weird. Stick in new fuse. Lights come on again- with the key turned, engine not started. Start engine- immediately blows the fuse once again.

Thoughts:

The battery I replaced it with came from the dealership, and perfectly matched my original, so I assume it's ok. Only thing is, it's the only change I've done recently, which means either the battery's at fault or it's just a coincidence. What do you guys think? What could be the problem- could the battery be pushing too much power through or something?

Keep in mind it's my first bike and I'm a total newbie at this. What else should I check - what could be causing this particular fuse to instantly burn out like that ?

Thanks for any help !
Yeah, a short.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm having this same problem with my 06 ninja 500.

Turn signals work at start up, but not when engine revs....then the fuse goes..no obvious shorts.

Any ideas?

Did the OP ever get the problem fixed?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
bootleg - Still working on it, was just playing with the bike today actually. I had someone who knew what they were doing come out and take a look at it as I couldn't find the short myself.

We got it working for a second, then when I came back an hour later without him the fuse blew again. He noticed lots of dirt and grime on it (I've kept it outside quite a bit, and while I've cleaned the outside of the bike, have not cleaned under the seat and in the inside of the bike at all so it's pretty dirty in there). He said that may be the problem, as there were no obvious shorts, all the wiring looked ok, just tons of dirt and grim where the connectors are, and that may be causing the short.

Can anyone else verify this?

I'm taking the bike to his shop tonight and leaving it with him over the weekend, paid him $100 to clean it and throw on some new brake pads while he's at it. We're hoping after the wires are cleaned out the short will be gone.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
hmm dirt my self i have never seen dirt make a fuse blow,just make for a bad connection.now if it had salt in the works then maybe but not dirt.but i seen some real funnt stuff in my life happen that make you go hmmmm.

my self id be lookin for rodent damage or a pinched wire shortin to ground(the frame).take a real good look at the wirein looms for any kind of folds or chaffin in them,and look at the frame were the wirein loom rund and look for worn paint thats a good place to look for a rubbbed wire.

while you guys were checkin for rubs etc you may have move the rubbed wire off the frame or a ground and allowin things to work again but then the wire moved back to ground out and blow the fuse.if you have to take the wireing loom off and look at every wire or get a manual with a wirein diogram and trace the wire that run the cluster and rearlights then youll find your issues.-

good luck on the repairs keep us posted on the finds -corey-

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Does the fuse blow the instant you touch the starter button or the instant the bike starts? Any aftermarket add-ons, alarm, gps, lights, etc?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi guys,

Just an update. Had the guy detail the bike top to bottom. Picked it up at lunch yesterday. While he was in there he removed the wiring harness and cleaned out the connectors, fuse box, etc and put everything back in. Afterward it looked like a brand new bike, and the fuse problem was gone, everything worked normally.

I've ridden it to work and back yesterday and today, and everything seems good, brake lights still functional and everything feels good, starts normally, etc. Not sure if it was just dirt or a loose connector or anything, but cleaning the whole system out seemed to do the trick. Sorry I couldn't provide more detailed info on fix !

Thanks for all the help, guys !

1 - 14 of 14 Posts