Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I finally got my bike running after changing the battery (had a bad cell) the regulator and starter solenoid. All the parts where in and the bike started right up no problem except for the head light. The headlight wouldn't turn on, so I took the tank off and tried to follow the wire but couldn't see anything obvious being impatient I decided I would hook up a wire to the headlight and when I wanted to ride (that night) I would just jump the light and give it a direct 12 volts.

It worked, I rode the bike for about an hour and a half but as I got close to my house the lights started dimming really bad, I got home shut the bike off and tried to start it back up but nothing the battery wasn't strong enough to start the battery. This happened last week, today I got some free time to myself during the day, I was gonna go check it out so I decided to start the bike and it started without a problem.

Anyone have any idea what it could be, I'm thinking its the wiring, maybe when i jump the headlight, (which I just touch I don't keep it connected).

Any help would be appriciated

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
WIRING

I'd take a meter to the switch assembly for the headlight...On my old bike I had low/hi. when I tok the switch apart to clean the insides, I found that there was a little tit that prevented teh headlight from going to the full OFF position...so I filed it off...I cleaned the switch parts and when I put it all back together I had not only my low and hi beams working but an off position that I would have never found if I hadn't taken it apart. You might check to see if you have the right bulb in...if you replace it with one that is to high of a wattage you are using more amperage than you are making,,,so it just drains the battery...

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Good catch.

Nice going...you found out that you can in fact try to use to much power...

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
hawk said:
1. so I finally got my bike running after changing the battery (had a bad cell) the regulator and starter solenoid.

2. The headlight wouldn't turn on, so I took the tank off and tried to follow the wire but couldn't see anything obvious being impatient I decided I would hook up a wire to the headlight and when I wanted to ride (that night) I would just jump the light and give it a direct 12 volts.

3. lights started dimming really bad, I got home shut the bike off and tried to start it back up but nothing the battery wasn't strong enough to start the battery.
1. so how do you KNOW for sure that these where the bad parts ?

2. did your headlight come on with the key or did you have to start the bike to have the headlight come on ?(when the headlight did work) could be a bad starter switch. ran into this problem on a few bikes when i was a tech at the local bike shop. could also be a relay thats on ALOT of bikes. it cuts off the light to let all the voltage go to the starter on start up.

3. sounds like your stator isnt putting out the juice needed to keep your battery charged and your running off the battery only. ya need to check the stator output. get a manual and it will tell you how.
good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts