Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all-

I got my bike all spruced up for the gorgeous weather, and while riding a new problem has developed. I can't really replicate it on purpose, and what happens is while riding (and very rarely while idling) the bike loses a lot of power, the headlight dims and sputters, and the tach starts jumping all over. I've also noticed that once in a while when I try to start it... the moment I hit the start button I hear a zap like sound from the fusebox and the bike shorts out entirely. No fuses are blown, and if I wait a sec, or test the box with a test light the power is restored.

After reviewing the wire diagram, I noticed solenoid 1 & 4, and the tach share a ground and power connection and are in the same circuit... which would explain why an immediate loss of power but the bike keeps running (like it's missing). Any thoughts about testing this and getting it taken care of? Thanx in advance

·
Registered
613 Posts
Go through and check all the connestors and relays. Use an emery board to buff them and isopropyl alchohol to clean off residue. I was having weird things happen when starting my bike. Turned out the contacts on the starter relay was a little corroded. Cleaned the contacts and I haven't had any problems since.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
should've mentioned...

Thanx for the tip... I should've mentioned that I did check the fuse box connections, and they were ok, no corrosion or anything, but the bikes was sitting outside for over a year before I got it so I'll definitely go through all the wiring and clean the connections just for heck of it. Whoever had it before REALLY messed it up wiring wise, so better safe than sorry.

So to clarify, the bike starts fine when the power is working... but whatever the problem is, when it's active there's no power at all anywhere... as if the battery wasn't even connected. If it's running however, the symptoms are as I described in the first post. I'm thinking it's a loose ground or power wire somewhere in the circuit... but I have a very limited knowledge of electrical.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
GROUND

Check your ground points to your chassis! I just saw this "somewhere else", and it was the problem. The guy thought he had a battery problem and the lights dimmed, tach went crazy jumping...same problem...hope you find the same solution...Let the FOURM know...it's how we learn...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will do

Thanx, I'll definitely do that... I was talking to a friend that said it sounds like that as well. I think I got it fixed, but since I'm in the process of completely overhauling the entire wiring system that couldn't hurt.

I went through this weekend and replaced all the fuses (which for all i know were original), and then went through all the wiring harnesses and pulled out all the wires (one at a time so I didn't replace them in the wrong order) and cleaned all the male and female terminals, then gave them a coating of electrical gel to protect them. I also did the ignition coil terminals for the heck of it... and it seems to have cleared the problem. I rode all day yesterday without a hitch, so hopefully that did it. thanx for the input...

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
SUMMER FREE

RIDING SEASON ALL YEAR! I just chatted with my Mother in Law in Petaluma, CA...She'd like to see my wife and me move out to Northern California. With all of the roads that California has to offer I'm inclined to agree, but then ther is southern California and right out of Phoenix, Arizona ther are some awesome roads...still california coastline is awesome...I have some issues with CA, that we don't have out here on the far country of Kansas. Guns are first followed by vehicle inspections. YOu can have catalytic converters removed out here in farm country because they get so hot, and can cause major fires, so you will ocassionally see gas or diesel trucks running straight pipes, or like my truck 3" inside duals...all sorts of combinations. NO State Inspections, it's kinda nice not to have the regulations forced down your throat every year, or ever in my case. My Merc LN7 that I bought new had the cat alytic converter and muffler removed and only a resonator tip for exhaust,,,they went nuts in VA, and made me install the converter to drive in teh state, so for 3 hours it had one...even though they later found out that I didn't really have to put it on because I still had Kansas residency...Texas has some nice roads but (mostly) for a large bike...I'm ready to move after 51 years of (Permanant Home of Record), I was in the Navy for 20 years...I just don't know where yet...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts