Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my bike running earlier, went to move it and it shut off. Everything just stopped. I have checked all the connections, battery, etc and nothing seems to be working. The battery is fine.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
13 Posts
so did you put the bike in gear and it stopped? or did you just push move it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry it's a 89 Kawasaki zx600. The fuses are all fine. No it was not in gear. I was backing it out of my garage. It won't even turn over now. Is it possible that I did something to the ignition?
I haven't had this bike for about a month. It has been running fine up until now. I'm well versed in mechanics, on cars, still learning about bikes.

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
Fuses may look good, but I like to use either a multimeter set on "OHMS" or a continuity light when checking fuses.

Do you have the older "Glass Tubed" type of fuse or the more up to date"Blade Style" that cars and bikes are now using?

·
Registered
25 Posts
dude the same thing just happened to me recently, here's my topic:
http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/f...tbikes/127153-halp-emergency-help-needed.html
Maybe some of the responses in there will help you do some problem-solving via eliminating what it ISN'T. My bike was running fine and it suddenly cut out, and then it was like, NOTHING, the ignition system is DEAD. When I turn the key, SOME things power up (blinkers and lights work FINE), but the ignition is dead, and so are all the dash LCD dials. The meters jump once like they do when they power on, but then none of the dash lights up. I'm sure you have regular dials and not LCDs but it still sounds like a related thing. My issue, I THINK, is not just a blown fuse but an electrical short somewhere, due possibly to mice chewing the wires, and your problem sounds very similar to mine. I think you should start looking for any worn wires...hope some of this helps.

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
Get out the multimeter and check the run/stop switch on the right handlebar for power. A RED or RED/YELLOW wire powers the ignition coils. If power is there, look at the ignition switch connections inside the headlight housing for loose wires/corroded contacts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts