Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my EX500 won't start. My Clymers manual says that the resistance from the coil contacts to the spark plug cap should be between 10 and 16 Ohms. Mine measures over 19 Ohms. However, when I take the cap off the resistance from the coil contacts to the end of the wire is just over 14 Ohms. My questions for you are:

1. Would this three Ohm difference between 16 and 19 make the difference between starting and not starting?

2. Is the problem the coil itself or could I bring the resistance down by just replacing the spark plug caps?

Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
how strange,,,Im having the exact same prob....I have all but given up and was going to haul it to the dealer....one question for ya Flanz....was yours a sudden no start or have you had any probs leading up to a nice looking dust collector.

Mark

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I met someone who could answer my questions. But first, let me correct myself, all the measurements are in kOhms not Ohms.

What my new friend Jim said:

1. The resistance difference is not the problem. The resistance test is merely to assertain that the circut is unbroken.

2. Spark plug caps are supposed to have a 5 kOhm resistance.

3. Look at your spark plugs. Clean means no gas. Wet means no spark. Black means to much gas.

4. Put some gas in a spray bottle and spray it into the air box while turning the engine over. If you don't get ignition this way your problem is electrical.

I still can't explain what was wrong with my 500, I had wet carbs some of the time but after I sprayed the gas it started working. Of course, I also cleaned all the electrical contacts.

If your electrical system still seems to be the problem and your ignition coils check out you can test your pickup coils at a 4 pin connector between the alternator and the IC Ignitor that I found under the left side panel.

Regarding your question about the onset of my problem I can't help you because I bought the bike in this state.

Let me know how it goes.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
WAIT!!!

Before you go spraying gas...take your bike into a dark garage or wait till it's dark, pull the plugs and then insert them into the plug caps, then ground them with a piece of wire around the threads and to a nice ground that is a serious ground...then crank the starter over while looking at each plug. It will be quick and simple and you should see a bright bluish/white spark and not a yellow or nothing spark. IF, you do have spark then you have a gas problem. IF you still have last falls gas with STA-BIL in it slosh it an ddump it into a lawn mower can and then find a great filter and install it between the tank and the carbs...but first, drain one of the carbs, they have little drain plugs and use a napkin to see what comes out of the carb. IF it is yellow-ish get some serious octane gas like 93+ and fill up the tank and then tke her out and ride her pretty hard. You may want to change out your airfilter if there has been any mosisture around, as paper swells and contracts and loses it's filtering abilities and makes it hard and it won't pass air right, it will just run rich...most of the time...IF your carb has lots of grit in it you will have to pull each plug on each carb and turn on the gas to purge the grit out as much as you can and then try riding it...if it still acts up you may end up pulling the carbs and going through cleaning them...it's not that difficult to do. Once you get that done you should have your bike running...your compression should still be fine and the ignition you have tested in the dark...not much left...spraying gas into an airbox is something you can do, but it is very dangerous as if you get a backfire...you have a serious problem real quick, like singed faces, eyelashes, eyebrows,,,you should seriously consider this as a last result and ALWAYS have a shop rag/towel ready and stand aside ready to smother a backflash...been there seen it, not a pretty site. PLEASE let the FORUM KNOW what you find out...IF you are still using last years plugs...set them aside an install new ones for the testing...long story...please believe me...

·
Registered
18 Posts
I remember your issure with bad plugs.... that is just wrong... what happend to "Q&A"....

Me.... Im too pissed to try anything else, its at the dealer...last week I pulled the tank to drain and check the small filters inside (89 600r), well my tank fell off the stand I made and scratched the heck you of a new paint job, less than 2 mths old. that was my last straw. thanks anyway!!

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
WAX

There is a buffing wax, not buffing compound or poslishing compound that has color in it...worse case scenerio, take the tank to a body shop and have them buff it out and perhaps clearcoat it with a tint in it...
Did you find anything in the bottom of the carbs when you pulled the drain plug(s)? Swith back to factory plugs, and get fresh gas(high- octane) without adding any additives...KEEP US INFORMED...Having a scratched tank is not a problem...you can either use a tank bra, or now go for a custom paint stripe, or something that draws attention to your bike in a good way! A high and tight...black sides, and bike color on top...use your imagination...now is the time to make your bike personal and not just a factory out the door clone...think of it as a positive thing...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts