Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Electronic ignition

7K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Jeff.saunders 
#1 ·
Hi all, I have a 1977 KZ650B that has had the some performance mods done to it. It has a Gerex CDI, big cam and header. The problem I have is finding info on this brand of cdi. I don't think they are in business but may have been bought by someone. According to the Clymers shop manual, this brand of cdi was the only one worth while at the time of manufacture. Anyone have info? Would greatly appreciate it. Thanx

#2 ·
If no info on Gerex then what would anyone recommend?

Well if I can't find any info about the Gerex cdi then what would anyone suggest as a replacement? I am leaning towards spending some bucks after the holiday season on a Dyna S type. :???:

#4 ·
Wireing for Gerex

:grin: Finally found a wireing diagram, another KZ rider had one for his Z1, I can't imagine it would be much different for a KZ650. These forums are great. They connect the world for solving problems. Thanks all and have fun over the holidys. :grin:

#7 ·
Gerex was THE ignition company back in the late 1970's and early 80's - I'm not sure when they went out of business, but it was way back when...

Gerex made a number of different ignitions over the years, although the wiring was similar on all of them, it did vary a little from bike to bike and ignition to ignition.

I ran a Gerex ignition on my turboed Z1 for a couple of years - incredibly good system until it fried itself - very fat spark - but then the black box was a monster. The system that was on my bike used Gerex coils - these are very low resistance - just 1.2 ohm - so you would need to be careful if you ever replace the ignition to check the resistance of the coils on your bike.

I don't know if anyone bought out Gerex, they seemed like they vanished overnight - I'd be curious if anyone knows what happened.

If the ignition is still working, leave it on the bike.

If you do have to replace the ignition, the Dynatek systems are the best value for money - although there are a couple of other options for the KZ650 (Boyer-Brandson & Newtroniks being two of them).

We sell a ton of Dyna ignitions for these older bikes - Dynatek gives a warranty on the product, and stands behind it with good support if a problem does arise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.