Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I’m a Kwak fan, and have had numerous bikes, all second hand and mostly old. I currently have a Ninja 300, an EN 500, and a GPZ 1000 rx, which has been undergoing major surgery at a local bike mechanic’s for nearly four years now, and the guy won’t give me any more information about how it’s going! But meantime my 1991 EN 500 had a starting problem. I replaced the battery, which was due for renewal anyway, and also replaced the starter solenoid. Initially it started first time, but ever since then, when I try to start it, it just makes a single clicking sound, and no more. Any advice would be most gratefully received! Many thanks, Lenin

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Many thanks. By the way, one thing I didn’t mention is that I am a completely useless mechanic! It’s difficult mentioning this in biking circles, where everyone seems able to strip their bikes down with ease, but I am useless, and when I joined a local motorbike club many years ago the head guy looked at something I had done to my 250 AJS, and said that I should never go near another bike with a spanner in my hand!

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
OK so useless on the Spanners admission out of the way we can move on ;)
Do you have a Digital Multi Meter ?
They aint expensive and are a great Diagnostic tool especially as we can guide you through the process (y)

·
Super Moderator
2,133 Posts
Lenin, not many would admit or be so candid about their lack of mechanical skills. My respect for you has gone up.

A load test can be done for free by almost any place that sells vehicle batteries. I know the battery is new, but the symptoms you describe indicate a possible bad or discharged battery. Voltage alone is not a good indicator of battery health, hence the need for a load test. If you cannot take it for a load test, I think Greenisbest has some ideas on how you can use a multi-meter to do some testing. I agree with him that its a great tool to have, not only for working on cars and bikes but around the home also.

By the way, I assume you have checked to make sure your battery terminals are clean and tight?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lenin, not many would admit or be so candid about their lack of mechanical skills. My respect for you has gone up.

A load test can be done for free by almost any place that sells vehicle batteries. I know the battery is new, but the symptoms you describe indicate a possible bad or discharged battery. Voltage alone is not a good indicator of battery health, hence the need for a load test. If you cannot take it for a load test, I think Greenisbest has some ideas on how you can use a multi-meter to do some testing. I agree with him that its a great tool to have, not only for working on cars and bikes but around the home also.

By the way, I assume you have checked to make sure your battery terminals are clean and tight?
Thank you so much for your information and understanding. Never too late to learn, perhaps? I bought the battery from just down the road, so can take it back easily enough. And, yes I did ensure that the terminals were clean and tight!
OK so useless on the Spanners admission out of the way we can move on ;)
Do you have a Digital Multi Meter ?
They aint expensive and are a great Diagnostic tool especially as we can guide you through the process (y)
I‘ll buy a Multi Meter, and learn to use it, and thanks for the advice.........

1 - 9 of 9 Posts