Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Wannabeabigbike Owner
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Called Scootworks yesterday and was told (sigh) that order still NOT received yet, last of January is now their "guess"!! If you want one, GET ON THEIR LIST!! I was one of the ones who instigated their getting serious about it, and wasn't even on the list for when they came in!! I an now!!
With the luck I have had this year, when I get them, I am going to have them covered in 2" of silly putty! that way, maybe I can BOUNCE back up without eating so much shale or dirt!! Is there some kind of natural law that says you CANNOT crash into any soft sand or grass areas??? I seem to have the terrible attractions to cliff walls and such.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
END OF JANUARY!!!

So has anyone looked at adapting a crash bar for another bike to the 500? I keep hearing that the 800 frame is close to the 500 and that a 800 crash guard should fit, but I have yet to find anyone to actually confirm this. If there is anyone in the Birmingham, AL area with an 800 crash bar that would let me test fit it, a bunch of us would be grateful.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Any word on the price, ROMAD?

·
Wannabeabigbike Owner
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nope

Any word on the price, ROMAD?
They wouldn't even give a clue! Their prices are usually at least competitive tho!

BamaMike: I have talked to a couple people who have had both bikes, and though a LOT of parts from the 800A will fit the 500, LOTS more won't! This is a won't! Frame, engine, radiator and all mounting stuff outside of some chrome are just no go's from what I have seen and been told. And believe me, I have desperately tried to find "bolt-ons" before I ever thought of the mod page of mine!!!

·
Wannabeabigbike Owner
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just got an email from scootworks on the crash guards! (a week AFTER I have another oh, phooey!)

"VN500 CLASSIC CRASHBAR/ENGINE GUARD - The long awaited wide classic-
style crashbars are finally in production and should arrive back to our shop from chrome sometime in early February. These are made from 1- 1/4" steel tube, and are compatible with a wide range of highway pegs."

·
Registered
6 Posts
Highway Bars for Vulcan 500 LTD

I have a Vulcan '08 500 LTD, and have spent countless hours looking for Highway Bars... I finally went to a welder/muffler shop and had them custom made from 1 1/2" tubing (they were chromed-out too!!!) for about $200.00.
I bought some aftermarket clamps and pegs... looks great. The thick crash bars give the bike a totally different look in addition to the sissy bar, backrest, windshield, and saddle bags...

I think the limit the number of items you can buy for this model so that you have to purchase a bigger one. I noticed that all the bigger sized Vulcans have milliions of parts available.

Just FYI...

·
Registered
6 Posts
I will have some pictures shortly... In regards to the Highway Bars.. they are a bit "off", but you can not tell unless you stand in front of them for ten minutes a look very closely... Also, the fabrication of the highway bars was $180.00, then chroming was $210.00, and the clamps and footpegs were an additional $145.00 for a grand total of $535.00. I will post some pictures within a week for everyone to look at. I will probably purchase the factory ones when they are available too... but for the meantime... I have highway bars and pegs for the long rides... they are very comfortable too... Having a motorcycle is like playing golf... " a money pit ".

·
Registered
6 Posts
Pics have finally arrived...

Hello everyone...

Take a look at the custom fabricated bars on my 2008 Vulcan 500 LTD... They are not only 1 1/2" thick, but they are comfortable too when on the highway... Let me know what you think.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
How to have them made and cost...

A local welder in my hometown fabricated the Highway Bars for me... The cost for the fabrication was $250.00. Keep in mind that you will need a welder to put some brackets on your frame so that you can bolt it on your motorcycle. I then sent the Highway Bars to a place called RBChroming (www.rbchroming.com - Home of the fastest chroming services) and for $215.00 had them chromed. It took about two weeks to get them back. The Highway pegs and clamps were purchased from West End Motorsports (online company), and they cost about $145.00 including shipping and handling... The rest was my elbow grease and patience to get the pegs on just right. But well worth the wait. The welder is willing to make more, but you must pay for the shipping to get them... He is charging $250.00 just to make the bars, does not include shipping. Hope this is what you needed...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts