Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
USE BATH SALTS
298 Posts
take the plug out. you could bump the starter a few times to help blow some of the gas out of the spark plug hole. you im guessing you just fouled a plug. if thats the case, usually replacing the plug with a new or clean one solves the problem. happens from time to time on these 800s. ur not twisting the throttle before start up are you??

·
Needs More Cowbell
11,774 Posts
First off; welcome to the forum.
Remove the spark plugs, clean them and leave them out overnight.

Exactly what happened anyway?
I'm asking because the 800 has a couple quirks and sticking float or float valve seems to be a common problem. Cheap and relativly easy fix for anyone mechanically inclined.

·
USE BATH SALTS
298 Posts
empty the bowl on the carb into a clean container. use something clear if possible. if there is a lot of junk in the gas, give you carb a cleaning.

·
Is a poor college student
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had to replace the battery. I left it out for a couple of days and didn't put it on primer. I opened the garage and there was gas on the floor. I pulled out the plugs and put new ones in but still wont start.
I'm not twisting the throttle before hand. What would that do anyway?

·
USE BATH SALTS
298 Posts
excessive throttling before startup will contribute to flooding. is the motor turnin over?? or nothing?? are you engaging the choke?? you should be. any gas left in the bike?? did you allow the cylinders plenty of time to dry out?? what did your sparkplugs look like?? wet?? dry?? black?? tan?? white?? i want to know all of these things. if you had gas on the floor, sounds like the floats is sticking. follow the bowl emptying ritual i posted in the other thread and tell us what comes out. use a clear jar and look for debris.

·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If i let the bike sit it will turn over and immediately die. Plugs were wet, blackened some, not white. Choke is engaged and there is gas in the tank. I let the bike sit for a few days. I am going to empty the bowl tomorrow. Thanks!

·
Needs More Cowbell
11,774 Posts
Sorry, been gone for the past few days.
OK, what spitbeard said; drain the bowl, tap with a plastic screwdriver handle a few times, then close the drain screw, turn the petcock to 'PRI' to refill the bowl, turn petcock back to (what's it say? RUN or ON?) and repeat. That SHOULD clear anything stuck in the float valve.

Change your oil because you have gas in it for sure if it flooded. Order yourself a 'float kit' from the dealer (about $35).

·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I drained the float bowl. Some gunk came out and some clear liquid, less than an ounce. I assume there should be more in there. I tried to loosen up to see if something had it clogged, but i think it is empty. Do i now need the "float kit" to refill it?
...some I'm an idiot, going to tyr to refill the bowl and repeat, as stated above...

·
Needs More Cowbell
11,774 Posts
Good deal PoppaaCharlie :biggrin:
Go ahead and order the float kit because it will stick again at some point. Kit comes with the float, float valve and the float pin.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.