Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Old Aussie Guy
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I have just bought a 73 Z1A900 all original that hasnt been turned over since 04, it has been garaged all that time, my concern is since it has sat that long what are the chances that moisture has entered thru the pipes into the cylinders which would have had open valves & caused some rust to form on the rings, which if I turn it over will score the bores then of course will make it blow smoke., So is there any suggestions of what I can do prior to starting it to avoid any problems?, is there something I can do without pulling it apart?, also I have also bought a 75 Z1B900 (the 1 on my avatar) which I am thinking to repaint orignal colour scheme, what I would like to know is did the original bikes come with the stripe jobs painted. or were they decals just stuck on? or stuck on & cleared over? any & all help would be much appreciated thanks Leonard

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,849 Posts
I'd remove the plugs from the 73 and dump a couple of tablespoons of oil into each cyl then fog each cyl with penetrating oil and let it sit a few days. Next I'd change the oil and filter then turn it over by hand. It wouldn't hurt to do a valve check/adjust and clean the carbs while your waiting on the oil in the cyls to do it's thing.

·
itching to ride
2,238 Posts
I got my bike last august and it had been setting up since 2003 but had not been stored well. I put some atf down each plug hole and gave it a couple days and did that again. Also used PB blaster and waited about a week before I turned the engine over. Naturally I changed the oil before trying to start it.

·
Registered
11,339 Posts
A set of gapped new sparkplugs, along with a new battery would be what I'd do, followed by replacing the brake fluids in both master cylinders.

New brake lines, along with new tires should be next.
Check the electrical systems connectors for signs of corrosion,the Negative(-) BLACK battery terminal(or what you call Earth) usually goes to an engine mounting bolt, The Positive(+)RED terminal usually goes to the starter solenoid and from it to the starter motor.

All battery related cables must be clean and tight for maximum current flow when the start button is pushed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.