Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I recently purchased a 1981 KZ250 and am trying to transfer the title.
Minnesota requires the VIN (which is on the title) and the engine number which
is blank on the title. Didn't think it was a big deal when I bought the bike, but hit a brick wall at the DMV. I downloaded a service manual and couldn't find any mention of it there. Called a couple of Kawi dealers and checked by the brake pedal and near the bottom of cylinders no dice. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Sherm

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks I will check it out when I get home. I did see a plate that had the make and model of the bike with engine size on the right side. I will look closer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No it was more like KZ250D 246cc. I was looking for any hint of the VIN but didn't see anything on the label. I should be home in an hour and can post more detailed info.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Hello,
I recently purchased a 1981 KZ250 and am trying to transfer the title.
Minnesota requires the VIN (which is on the title) and the engine number which
is blank on the title. Didn't think it was a big deal when I bought the bike, but hit a brick wall at the DMV. I downloaded a service manual and couldn't find any mention of it there. Called a couple of Kawi dealers and checked by the brake pedal and near the bottom of cylinders no dice. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Sherm
So Minnesota requires both the frame and the motor VIN? Most DMV's require only the frame VIN. If you bought the bike from someone in Minnesota, then all that is required is the frame VIN...because that was all that was required for them to register the bike. However, the motor VIN is generally standardized in placement on older Kawasaki's. As you sit on the bike, look down on the top of the crankcase beneath the right-hand carb...you'll see a raised area with the embossed motor VIN...if you have a blank raised area, then the crankcases have been replaced.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep Thanks for the help guys. Helps when you clear off the grease lol.
I got the number, now off to the DMV.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts