Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed the oil & filter about 300 miles (and less than a month) ago. I used the OEM filter and oil. Last night I rode in 24 F weather and the bike was noticeably finicky until it got "warmed up", which translated into the temp needle just breaking the "C" on the gauge.

I was just going over the bike this afternoon and noticed some sort of white deposit clinging to the inside of the engine oil sight glass. Can anyone tell me what this is? Surely it's not ice! :?

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
Yep...Read this:

"Help, my oil sight glass is looking milky and I can't check my oil."

The Fix: Go for a ride (oh darn) This fogging of the oil sight glass window is especially common when weather turns cold among riders who travel short distances. The engine (oil) doesn't get fully up to temperature so the sight glass fogs (just like when you and the S.O. produce all that heat in the back seat on a chilly night). Once fogged it may take a couple of nice long rides to drive the moisture out from between the double paned glass.

http://www.gadgetjq.com/faq.htm#fogged oil glass

·
Registered
159 Posts
White deposits

Sounds like moisture to me too. It turns oil into LUBRIPLATE. 24F, you must have had white stuff on your mustache too. The engine will never get hot enough in that temperature to burn off the moisture. Change your oil more often in those conditions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts