Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
itching to ride
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It would seem that when using high temp paint the best way to go would be to bake the paint on. So after painting engine would it be wise to run the engine a bit for this? And if so for how long and how many times? I have heard of people baking the exhaust head pipes in a gas grill so that gave me the idea.

Anyone who has done so give me your thoughts.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,849 Posts
Someone posted a thread not too long ago that had some run times/cool down times in the thread or a link to it in the thread. I remember reading the thread and the times but can't remember if it was for doing the pipes or the cylinders.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,849 Posts
57 isn't too old to learn how. I fond it easier to create an account at photobucket.com then upload my pics to there. Now all I have to do is copy and paste the img code from the pic on photobucket to the text in my post.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,849 Posts
Here too brother!:lol: I did mine but dont have a clue how I did it! Theres too many options to get lost in! If you plug your camera into the tower usb port, and then go through the reguler posting procedure and once the posting window opens, scroll down the page and click "manage attachments" click browse, then click the pic No. or ID or url, then click upload and wait untill the red img code shows up next to manage attachments and then just click submit reply and ......Boom there It is! Now you guys Know what Zoro looks like! I still cant wrap my mind around the procedure! These bike are way easier to understand than these dad gum computers! Merry Christmas Lew and Paul and Mike and all my pards in Kawasaki land!:hohoho:
I elected not to explain that method since you get limited space for uploading pics on the forum but what ever works. Thats a whole lotta gray hair there gramps. :tongue:

Merry X-Mas :santa:

·
Registered
124 Posts
I too use photobucket, but I also keep a folder on my desktop computer of my stuff. I usually use Paint Shop Program to open my pictures and then I can crop out the background and make them smaller also, then save as jpg..

·
Registered
115 Posts
Is it worth painting??

Well i know its an old topic but i figured id bring to life,

I got a Kz650B1 now of course the engine did NOT come black so i figured i paint it black (hi-temp) of course and see how it goes.............after about a month it starts to flake :mad:, I figured i prep right with washing and degreasing but now I come to find out that sanding would of helped to bond :mad: .....

So now I have to remove the engine and pretty much start from scratch, Im gonna have to glass bead the engine to get it back to its original alum color.

And this brings me to my question, "Should I try to paint it again?"
I loved the way it looked black, but is this motor meant to have a coat of paint? Or After I blast it will I love the nice new alum color?

Thanks in advance!

---Eric

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,849 Posts
To me, some bikes look better with black and some better with aluminum. I mean I can't imagine a GPZ with an aluminum engine and I can't see mine with black but I guess it's all a mater of preference. I just wish I could find a local shop that did vapor blasting. From my research, that is giving the best "original alumium" look of any blasting process but it's just not real popular here like it is in the UK. The only potential drawback to a black engine that I can see would be the possibility of water spots. Of course you don't have to worry about a painted engine oxidizing like you would with raw aluminum.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.