Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,013 Posts
Thanks for the update. Please do post back here as it can help others in the future with similar problems.
Best of luck. Maybe it is something simple.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Shop call and said they fixed it. Said the choke was “messed up”. They drove it around and around had had no issue but the second I got on it and drove off…. It happened. Back to square one. They will tear the carb apart. I asked them to pay attention to anything electrical as the culprit but they are adamant that it’s a carb/fuel issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2,013 Posts
Thanks for the update. I can't blame the shop because it does sound like a carb issue, but if carb checks out, greenisbest may have nailed it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Shop is saying it’s the voltage regulator… will be a few days before they get the part in but they claim to have hooked up the volt meter and tested it. I’m in the hook for a carb clean and fuel system flush and now this. The cost of the repair is now almost half of what I purchased the bike for. Lol

·
Super Moderator
2,013 Posts
Sorry to hear that. That is why running older bikes gets expensive unless you can fix it yourself. I am having my doubts that your problem is the voltage regulator but I have been wrong before.

One way to protect yourself is to ask the shop if the part they replace does not fix the problem, will they still charge you for the part and labour? If they say yes, then I say goodbye.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sorry to hear that. That is why running older bikes gets expensive unless you can fix it yourself. I am having my doubts that your problem is the voltage regulator but I have been wrong before.

One way to protect yourself is to ask the shop if the part they replace does not fix the problem, will they still charge you for the part and labour? If they say yes, then I say goodbye.
They claim to have tested it and was not “working correctly”. If it does not fix the issue then I’ll pull the bike out

·
Super Moderator
2,013 Posts
My two cents worth: The regulator may not have been within spec, but I would be surprised if that caused the problems you are having.

Another thought (and this is because I seldom trust a mechanic until he or she has earned my trust) I would inquire of the mechanic exactly what test he performed and what numbers did he get that indicated the regulator was bad. If all he did was a voltage check at say 4,000 rpm, it would take less than 5 minutes for him to repeat the test while you watch.

If they refuse to repeat the test, you have your answer. Time to find a new shop and a new mechanic.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts