Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a prairie 360(?) for my son about 3years ago. We went to Coal creek in tenn. about ayear ago and my son got in some deep muddy water and stalled out , we got it out and eventually got it running later that day and was able to finish the weekend trip without any more problems ; on the last day it started smoking bad .We ended up taking it to a mechanic and he replaced the rings,piston and afew other things and it ran fine for several months and started smoking again,but not so bad ,of course the boy who fixed it has since moved, and the other day my 11 year old daughter was riding it and it seem to lose all power ;though it still runs it is like it has no compression.I hate to put much money in it and would rather try and work on it myself. would like some opinions ;its a Kawasaki fulltime 4x4 auto. not sure exactly if it is a 360 or a 300 I submitted the serial # and got no info. on it .

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
well it sounds unrelated is the smoke black or blue maybe just a carb problem.
do a compression test just to rule that out if you think it is internal.
pull the plugg see if its fouled if so by what ?

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Absolutely do the compression test, and check your oil to see if the oil level is high. If the fuel valve is left on and the choke lever is not fully seated so the enrichment valve on top of the carburetor is closed, these engines will drool gasoline into the crankcase. You would normally see a high oil level when you checked it before riding, but some people do not check their oil that frequently and trash their engines instead.

If the oil gets thinned by gasoline it results in premature wear of the rings and can score the piston skirt.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
some people do not check their oil that frequently and trash their engines instead.

If the oil gets thinned by gasoline it results in premature wear of the rings and can score the piston skirt.
That is what I was suspecting.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
If you need piston and rings, go to Wiseco. They are better quality, and a whole lot less expensive than OEM.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts