Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The engine on my VN 750 always runs very cold when I'm on the move. I've just fitted a new thermostat and it doesn't seem to change anything. The bike seems to be in perfect contition otherwise, when idle the engine gets to normal temperature and the fan works fine. But as soon as I start moving the needle goes down as if the engine is running very cold. Mind you, I live in cold temperature (Iceland), but this can't be normal though. The thermostad is brand new and made for 80 deg. Centegrade. It was fitted by a professional but he has no answeres for me though.

Are there any ideas what could be wrong? This really bothers me since it must be a strain for the engine run cold?

Thangs for your answeres.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I've never heard of any engine having problems running colder than average. Do you mean cold as in, it doesn't go above the left side of the temp gauge?

Out of curiosity... what temperatures are you riding in that it behaves like this?

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Maybe he installed a defective thermostat ( it happens ). If you can get the thermostat out you can test it yourself with a pot of water and a thermometer simply drop your thermostat in a pot of water on the stove , start heating up the water till you see that thermostat open and the check your thermometer.For better visibility just use enough water to cover the stat. Or then again maybe your temp gauge might be defective.

The radiator cap might also be defective, it should allow a certain amount of pressure to build up and if it's not doing this it could cause similar problems.

Might have air in the system, you would then have to bleed the cooling system to remove any air pockets that could cause problems.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cold engine

Thanks a lot for your reply Bob. I'll do this or have it done.

Aikata, you ask "Do you mean cold as in, it doesn't go above the left side of the temp gauge?"

Yes indeed... I mean that... as soon as I start driving the gauge goes to the left side and stays there untill I stop again, then it resumes to normal. The temperature over here in the country is normally around 3-5 deg centegrade I don't know how much that is in Farenh... A "good day" in June is around 12 deg. Centegrade.

Anyways thanks to both of you for your replies...

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had this problem in my car. The engine would warm up if it could sit and idle. Once I moved, the temp gauge would drop all the way to cold. It was weird being able to watch it drops in 5-10 seconds!

Anyways, it was a thermostat that was stuck open. Continually cooling the engine, while moving, all the cold air passing the radiator really dropped the temp fast. While I was idling, the engine could warm up just fine. The fan would kick in if need be.

So like Bob said, doublecheck the thermostat :D

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
???

Just wondering if the fan ever turns on...perhaps the temp. gauge is inoperative...read your plugs too, and check to see that they are infact the proper ones. I agree though that it does sound like a defective thermostat...befory you install it, this time check it in a pot of water on the stovetop... :wink:

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
TRIPS

You said that you had been out to the west of town...but I'm curious about the awesome roads out east of town...Have you taken them yet? I'm still a big fan of Arizona highways. Anybody can have an Interstate (or in Hawaii Intrastate), but highways like the ones in Arizona...can be quite the challange, as well as enjoyable...

·
Registered
380 Posts
Re: TRIPS

ZX-2R said:
You said that you had been out to the west of town...but I'm curious about the awesome roads out east of town...Have you taken them yet? I'm still a big fan of Arizona highways. Anybody can have an Interstate (or in Hawaii Intrastate), but highways like the ones in Arizona...can be quite the challange, as well as enjoyable...
I said west? Hm... well, I'm sorry I'm used to living in a valley with obvious land marks for East West and North. I've been venturing out EAST of town ;) And I recently made another trip out there. Starting to learn how to lean the bike thru the turn and get a bit more angle. I have to watch it though... it's getting a lot more fun to speed up more now. In fact I'm probably going to take another trip out now since I have the time and the traffic isn't too excessive.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
TIRES

Just be careful...those Dunlop 630 tires aren't known for being sticky...seems they make great commuter tires...just don't want to see you get "Personality scratches" on your pretty machine, and mess with your ego at the same time...

·
Registered
380 Posts
Hehe, no worries... I don't have the arrogance to push it very much. I think I still have an inch or so chicken strip still...

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I'm pushing

Pushing hard to hang on the house and 10 acres for the next 2 years...during which time, I am continuing to communicate with a couple of agents around the Sierra Vista, AZ. area. Kansas has been home for 51 years...it'll be tough packing up. I love the openess ad freedom on the roads in Arizona. The people are friendly...and it's a great place to retire and expire. My family have all passed at about 57, that's the average over the past three generations...I hope to enjoy another 30 or so years, but to enjoy them I would have to be on the open road riding, not feeling my feet an legs is not a problem as long as they function. IF they quit then I'll be the old man on the trike with a bumperhitch holding an electric 3 wheel scooter. Your neck of the winding roads is absolutely one of the greatest riding areas. The Pacific coast is nice, but it is not as demanding as AZ is. KY, AK, MO, WV have some great roads as does MA, PA..ME...I'm just excited about AZ. I'd like to live in northern CA, then play in S. AZ 90% of the year...anyway, I'm probably keeping you away from riding or homework...sorry for the rambling!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts