Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a used 92 Vulcan 500 with 40k miles on it. It was a steal, and I'm in south Korea, so I figured the proximity to Japan would lessen repair and maintenance costs.
A week after I bought it I noticed the engine is starting to sound rougher by the day. There's a loud, low thumping as well as a constant clicking/rattling. Also, after I take it for a short ride it starts to smell like burning rubber.
I took it to a mechanic and he said it was a cam chain problem, that he could fix for the equivalent of US$300.
The indicators lights don't work, and he said it would cost $10 per light. Also, 2 new mirrors would cost around $50.
Another mechanic claimed there was cam chain problem as well as a crank problem.
I really don't know that much about bikes. I get the feeling this guy is trying to rip me off.
Any feedback on this would be a real help.

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
sorry to say but im gonna agree with both diags. the clicking/rattling sounds like cam chain or cam chain tensioner and the loud low thump sounds like a bad bottom end bearing/s (crank or rod)
good luck :?

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
price all depends on what PARTS he is going to replace ? find out and list the parts he has in mind and then i can give ya an idea about price. :wink:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts