Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm new to this forum. I have a 2003 636. Right out of the box my engine had a slight ticking sound. After it's first check up (at 987km) the noise has gotten louder. My 1998 zx-6r had a similar noise. I have gotten many opinions and most tell me I have nothing to worry about. Ever the worrier, I am asking for opinions and experience from you all out there. I've been told valves, cam chain tentioner, too much clearance, not enough clearance, it will go away, and it's not supposed to go away... any ideas? :? Thanks in advance for any input.

Barrett

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Noise

Seems to me tht if you are having noises that you should return it to the dealer and start the documentation process...until they fix it..

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
ADJUSTMENTS

It wouldn't hurt to adjust the valves. At least you will know that they are alright and you will not be hurting anything in the engine. At the same time you can be checking the oil when you drain it for any metal shavings. Your filter should be catching all of these, but not always. just have your oil drain through a paper towel and see if you have any. I think that you will also feel better when the job is done knowing that everythng has been documented. It will also run stronger with new plugs, and the valves properly adjusted. At least you can hear the clicking. In the real old days if ou had a Chevrolet and you didn't hear the clicking you knew that you had to get the feeler gauge out...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Engine tick need help

Hi I purchased a 89 kawasaki ninja and it had a tick my buddy said ride it awhile see if it goes away unfortunatly after about 3 days the tick got worse. The more throttle I give the faster the tick. After them 3 days I experienced loss in power after it warmed up. could it be the piston rings. Please give me your opinions and what to do to fix this problem. Thank you.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
Try to locate where the tick is coming from. If you can't really tell just by listening, Take a large screwdriver and place the tip of it against the engine and your ear against the end of the handle. It works like a stethoscope and by checking different areas of the engine you can narrow down where the tick is coming from.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Try to locate where the tick is coming from. If you can't really tell just by listening, Take a large screwdriver and place the tip of it against the engine and your ear against the end of the handle. It works like a stethoscope and by checking different areas of the engine you can narrow down where the tick is coming from.

Need a picture of you demonstrating this technique please Mike :newyear:

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
NOT ANOTHERR THREAD, we can handle this.... maybe he's trying to back in to being a MOM......lol kidding

·
Keeper of Donkey
13,882 Posts
NOT ANOTHERR THREAD, we can handle this.... maybe he's trying to back in to being a MOM......lol kidding
It's like I SENSE them! (the ticking threads!) :biggrin: (I wish I could see how many eyes rolled!)

·
Registered
2 Posts
tick

it sounds like its coming in the top part of the engine. what could cause the tick and why would it loose power and die when the engine warms up to proper temp.

·
Registered
887 Posts
This is a long shot, but it happened to me years ago with a sportster. First, does the ticking get louder as it warms up? On my bike, I had a carbon deposit on the valve stem in the guide area, when it cooled the valve shrank and worked right, but after about 2 or 3 min. running it warmed up, valve expanded, got tight , started sticking. It would start run ok , then miss a little, then that cylinder would quit all together. And as the engine ran longer the tick got louder. This could also becaused by lack of oil.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
First thing I would suggest doing, is to remove the valve cover and do a visual inspection and check/adjust your valves.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts