Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first i would like to say hi to all . my problem is that i have a 1998 vulcan classic 1500 and lately it's been getting a realy loud whinning sound when the bike is going over 20 mph and you let go of the gas .if you put the clutch in it's not as loud but still loud and if you put it in neutral it goes away . i changed the clutch and no help. the oil in the bike is new and the oil for the shaft drive is new . any one have this problem or knows what it could be? thanks in advance.

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
I am probably wrong, but I believe the "whine" may be traceable to the alternator stator starting to fail. My understanding is the varnish/epoxy may have been overheated and some of iron cores that comprises the stator are moving each time the magnets sweep by.

If the alternator cover is removed and some of the windings are darker than others, I'd look for evidence of overheating and melting in the electrical connectors related to the charging system and the fuse holders.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks Mike for the reply,
Would the problem you are talking about cause the bike to decerellate as well. every time i let off the throttle i get the WHINE and it feels as if the bike is being held back and slowing down. this sounds crazy but it is almost like a engine retarder on a big rig lol. I am somewhat frustrated with this.

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
If your drive chain/belt is not excessively tight, that's all I can think of that might act like this. Does it do the same "Whine" in neutral as well as being in gear?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts