Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

Does anyone have any suggestions about my ER-5 (think they are basically the same as an ex500). It runs OK on tickover and through to rev range to around 5000 rpm. It refuses to go above 6000. If you blip it around 5000 and hold the throttle full open, it sounds like it is starving itself of petrol or air.

The air box is off at the minute ready for the carbs to be tuned, new plugs, new HT leads. The breather pipe from the carbs is away from the carbs, so it shouldn't be this. I've cleaned the carbs and everything is free to move. New fluids, exhaust isn't blocked

Has anyone come across anything similar to this or can you give me some suggestions on what to try next.

Cheers

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
never had this problem, but check to make sure it is getting fuel, there might be something blocking the petcock or in one of the hoses. Have you tried putting it on reserve and riding it just to see if that helps?

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Re: hmmmm

bikeaholic said:
is there a rev limiter on those ?

EX500/EX500D have a rev limiter, but I believe it kicks in at 12K. Something could be messed up with that, but I'm not really sure how it all works.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your ideas. It might be the petcock. Theres not much more it could be (new engine and carbs so far. A bit drastic I know but thats what the guys in the shop recommended). I'll try new fuel pipe and bypassing the fuel tank and petcock for tuning.

I didn't know about the rev limiter. I used to get the old engine up to around 9k but it was getting old so I didn't like to push it.

Cheers. When I find out what it was, I'll post it back here

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi All

the bike is now working. After £150 service, £60 carbs, £370 engine (about $1000 so far) then they wanted <£400 to fit the engine (which they didn't get). The new engine got installed and still ran rough, so it wasn't the engine or the Carbs as they'd both been replaced. Once one of the coils got changed (£10), the bike ran smooth.

So a lot of money down and the bike shop I took it to (Alf Englands, Bedworth, UK) kept diagnosing the wrong problem.

Thank you guys for looking and cheers to George for sorting it out for me.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Wayne said:
Hi All

the bike is now working. After £150 service, £60 carbs, £370 engine (about $1000 so far) then they wanted <£400 to fit the engine (which they didn't get). The new engine got installed and still ran rough, so it wasn't the engine or the Carbs as they'd both been replaced. Once one of the coils got changed (£10), the bike ran smooth.

So a lot of money down and the bike shop I took it to (Alf Englands, Bedworth, UK) kept diagnosing the wrong problem.

Thank you guys for looking and cheers to George for sorting it out for me.
Hey there,
I have the same problem with my 91 zx600d and I have fiddled around with the carbs to no avail. So I am excited to hear that its possibly just a coil that needs replacing. Could you tell me a little more about what they replaced??

·
Registered
45 Posts
As Ive said before Ive got a 91 zx600d, could someone tell me where the coils are?
Are they the 2 cylinder shaped things that the spark plug wires go into(2 into each)???

·
Registered
22,566 Posts
shawnkilpatrick said:
As Ive said before Ive got a 91 zx600d, could someone tell me where the coils are?
Are they the 2 cylinder shaped things that the spark plug wires go into(2 into each)???
yes, those are the coils.

·
Registered
10 Posts
That was drastic! This sounds like a coils or CDi problem. Coils break down over time and won't supply a strong enough spark at higher revs. I think your bike shop saw you coming :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts