Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi: I should probably do a thread search for ethanol to see if the topic is already covered. But what has been the expereince with this fuel additive/replacement? Don.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi: I should probably do a thread search for ethanol to see if the topic is already covered. But what has been the expereince with this fuel additive/replacement? Don.
Well I can tell you the more ethanol content in the mix, the faster you will need to refuel. Ethanol also burns hotter so the more ethanol content, the faster your bike will actually be.

I personally hate ethanol, it eats rubber also so make sure your fuel lines can handle it (I know older cars cannot handle it)

·
Need Time To Ride
3,247 Posts
Eth is evil. Check a boating website. Not a huge deal for bikes because fuel tanks are small, so the varnish from MTBE based fuels is minimal and the carb/injector cloggs can usually be corrected with something like Chemtool B-12. When eth first arrived in MD it cost me over $1000 to straighten out the damage to the fuel system in my boat.

·
GHOSTRIDER
3,361 Posts
Alcohol and "neoprene rubber" dont play well with eachother! Most older diaphrams and o-rings are neoprene or contain neoprene and the alcohol erodes them. The ethanol added to gasoline has been exposed to moisture and alcohol absorbs moisture! Properly refined ethanol used for race fuel applications is kept in sealed containment until used. The crap coming out of the local pump is loaded with water! Im kinda old school in that I remember using "leaded" gasolines refined within miles of the pump where it was sold. From a mechanical point of view, leaded gasoline is far superior to whats available today! The aircraft industry still uses leaded gasoline for that very reason! Ethyl gasoline of old was not just gasoline with 10% ethanol added. It contained a soluble lead compound called Tetra-ethyl lead and when added with high grade refined gasoline eliminated damaging "knock" or "ping." Refineries also added a red dye to Ethyl to distinguish it from regular gasoline. The oil companies covered up the grim facts involved in the production of ethyl gasoline as "thousands" of American refinery workers never enjoyed retirement or lived long enough to enjoy their retirements due to their deteriorating health caused from exposure to the lead! Its a sad fact and big oil still plays the fact down! Soil tests taken even today along any highway in America that existed since the 30s reveal off the chart levels of not only lead but asbestos too as it was the primary matrix in brake linings! Today, the fuels in America are "safer" for the environment, but less efficient in internal combustion engines. Any time alcohol is exposed to air, it immediately begins to absorb moisture from that air! Any ethanol fuels stored in vented containment is absorbing water! And heres one that just showed up, "nitrogen enriched" gasoline? What the f#@k is that? Wake up America! Be American and Buy American!:toetap:

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
this is why i go to my local drag way and bye the race fuel 110 oct,i know its a waste of money,but i do not have to worrie about comtaminated fuel like you can bye at a gas station.this fuel is filtered better etc,and it doesnt have ethanol in it to screw up my carb and stuff. oh this fuel is 5.99 a gallon but i can run all day on 2 gallons.

·
This space for rent
687 Posts
High octane gas is a total waste of money in any stock KZ motor, won't make it any faster and might actually make the bike slower. Since 9.5:1 is the highest compression ratio of any stock KZ motor it's senseless to spend the extra bucks for Premium or even 100LL. Even the 12:1 GSXR1100 in the garage specifies 87 octane.

If you're running a drag bike with high compression, just contact your local petroleum distributor, most will sell you your choice of racing fuel by the gallon, 5 gallon, drum, or whatever you want. $7 per gallon for 115 octane locally.

And for those that swear Premium (or high octane) fuel makes their stock KZ faster, do a Google search for something like "High Octane gives better performance?" and see if you can find anything that supports your opinion.

Subjective experiences not accepted as support. :)

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
i was told bye a engine builder that any motor over 10.5 -1 comp should use higher octane fuel for best engine performance but i know people that use reg gas and the engine will ping even messin with the timin,4 example on my dads 99 jeep grand with the 360 engine it says on the fuel door 93 and up,he ran 87 oct and that thing pinged like no one ones biz.

they have a fix for this its called reprogram the computer to retard the timing which made this 360 engine feel like a frickin 4 cyl no power just a dog.so we reset the computer back to oe specs and back to usein 93 oct, so there must be something to this high octane fuel to make power for certain engines,
maybe the gsxr timin is retarded enough to allow 86 octane to be used but if the timin was advanced then 87 would make it ping then high test fuel would take care of the pinging and give that bike more powerdue to the advancement of timin which would lean the engine a bit

but the real reason i use it is cleaner than the fuel you get from a pump station.less chances of carb contamination etc.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Next Page What does octane mean?
by Marshall Brain

Print Cite Feedback E-mail This Facebook Digg This Yahoo! Buzz StumbleUpon TwitThis Reddit
Share Recommend
Cite This!Close .Please copy/paste the following text to properly cite this HowStuffWorks article:

Brain, Marshall. "What does octane mean?." 01 April 2000. HowStuffWorks.com. <http://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-efficiency/fuel-consumption/question90.htm> 16 December 2009.
Inside this Article
1.What does octane mean?
2.Octane History
3.Lots More Information
4.See all Fuel Consumption articles
Eco Fueler
More Auto Videos »
Up Next
•Gas Prices Quiz
•How Gas Prices Work
•PlanetGreen: Hybrid Buying Guide

If you've read How Car Engines Work, you know that almost all cars use four-stroke gasoline engines. One of the strokes is the compression stroke, where the engine compresses a cylinder-full of air and gas into a much smaller volume before igniting it with a spark plug. The amount of compression is called the compression ratio of the engine. A typical engine might have a compression ratio of 8-to-1.

Car Engine Image Gallery

Ed Endicott/Dreamstime.com
During World War I, it was discovered that adding a chemical called tetraethyl lead (TEL) to gasoline significantly improved the gasoline's octane rating. See car engine pictures.

Ads by Google
Thinking Forward®
BipolarTreatmentInfo.com

The octane rating of gasoline tells you how much the fuel can be compressed before it spontaneously ignites. When gas ignites by compression rather than because of the spark from the spark plug, it causes knocking in the engine. Knocking can damage an engine, so it is not something you want to have happening. Lower-octane gas (like "regular" 87-octane gasoline) can handle the least amount of compression before igniting.

The compression ratio of your engine determines the octane rating of the gas you must use in the car. One way to increase the horsepower of an engine of a given displacement is to increase its compression ratio. So a "high-performance engine" has a higher compression ratio and requires higher-octane fuel. The advantage of a high compression ratio is that it gives your engine a higher horsepower rating for a given engine weight -- that is what makes the engine "high performance." The disadvantage is that the gasoline for your engine costs more.

googled search

·
itching to ride
2,238 Posts
Lower octane gasoline actually produces more power for a given amount so the lowest octane your bike can use without pinging or detonation will yield the greatest power output. However most automotive all high output engines use high octane fuel because as stated earlier it will handle higher compression. That is true for an automobile engine but in a motorcycle engine you can often get by with lower octane fuel because of the bore size and the short flame travel. Most high compression bike engines use a centrally located sparkplug which means the flame has a shorter distance to travel. Which means you can run more compression without detonation. Detonation being an uncontrolled burning of the fuel/air mixture. This sends shock waves across the piston and causes a ping or knock which if left unchecked will damage your engine.

Ethanol, like stated, will absorb moisture from the atmosphere. Water having a higher surface tension than gasoline will have a harder time passing through these tiny jets of a motorcycle carburetor. Especially the pilot jets and passages. I was informed by my local yamaha dealer that their service dept had found with the ethanol in most fuels they needed to increase the pilot jet size. I have found one station in my town that sells fuel without that water retaining junk added to their gasoline.

·
Politicians' Nightmare
1,871 Posts
Good to hear that some riders have a choice whether to use gasoline with crappanol (sorry - ethanol) or the straight stuff. In Oregon, thanks to our governor and the legislature we're stuck with the 10% blend garbage. Our meticulous mileage records indicate a 10% mileage decrease - doesn't compute on the surface but that's the reality, thanks to the powers-that-be in Salem.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Octane is a heat measurement. Higher octane really does = higher speed/acceleration, is it good for your engine? absolutely not. Even engines that claim they can run 100 Octane shouldn't be run that way often, high heat = engine strain.

On the other hand, engines that claim they can only run high octane should be run at the octane rating... but it will most likely not mess the engine up permanently. Like a Mercedes car, you can run 87 octane all day long with it, it is not recommended because the engine will not run as smoothly and eventually sludge will build much faster.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Most of the kawi sport bikes are about 13.1 or 12.8 something like that on the inline 4's. 13.1 is high compression. And with those numbers your bike wants about 96 octane. Almost all the small engine,motorcycle,and car companies say not to use ethonal fuel. If you must only e10 and anything over 10% ethonal your warenty is void. We should all go out and buy hybrids so we can get the same gas mileage we did on EO or pure gas haha. Yep ethonal loves moisture and water also means rust inside your tank and cylinders. Ethonal is garbage dont use it if you can avoid it. The only reason cars are pulling it off as of now is something called a knock sensor and computer controlled timming. If you really have 9.5.1 compression 87 is fine. But alos remember ethonal is so unstable it can lose as much as one octane per week. Ok lets compare lol pure gas stays good for about a year in a sealed container. Ethonal stays good for a week before it starts to degrade. But wait it burns off so fast you have to fill your car up once a week anyways so it's all good lol. Hey just beat me with a stick and i'll tell you i like it. ETHONAL = CRAP

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yeah I'm sick of the news and the green groups saying ethanol is the future, even if its not corn based. Brazil only uses ethanol now and people think its a good idea elsewhere. I don't know... I just wish people would wake up and quit listening to everything they are told and just figure it out themselves. Just like Hybrids being 'good for the environment' when in reality it takes 6 smog pumping factories to produce 1 prius/insight battery.

·
This space for rent
687 Posts
Octane is a heat measurement. Higher octane really does = higher speed/acceleration, is it good for your engine? absolutely not. Even engines that claim they can run 100 Octane shouldn't be run that way often, high heat = engine strain.

On the other hand, engines that claim they can only run high octane should be run at the octane rating... but it will most likely not mess the engine up permanently. Like a Mercedes car, you can run 87 octane all day long with it, it is not recommended because the engine will not run as smoothly and eventually sludge will build much faster.
And for those that swear Premium (or high octane) fuel makes their stock KZ faster, do a Google search for something like "High Octane gives better performance?" and see if you can find anything that supports your opinion.

Subjective experiences not accepted as support.
Still waiting :)

Octane is a heat measurement?? Please don't repeat what some uninformed person told you, do a search with Google or some other search engine.

The octane rating is a measure of the resistance of gasoline and other fuels to autoignition in spark-ignition internal combustion engines.
Octane rating - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
itching to ride
2,238 Posts
Octane also does not boost heat but actually retards the flame speed so preignition is less likely. Lower octane fuel burns more violently so is more suceptable to pinging rattling knocking, so if you have any of those problems then higher grade of fuel will give more power.

·
GHOSTRIDER
3,361 Posts
Octane also does not boost heat but actually retards the flame speed so preignition is less likely. Lower octane fuel burns more violently so is more suceptable to pinging rattling knocking, so if you have any of those problems then higher grade of fuel will give more power.
:wink: "Spot On Mate"

1 - 20 of 79 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.