Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
'06 V2K, Baby!
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think it's my next mod. Having spent the bucks on a Mustang and then additional bucks for re-modifying that Mustang for my 900, I'm thinking I oughta just bite the bullet and get the Russell - I'd be out about the same amount.

I sat on a used Goldwing in a dealership with a Russell seat and, for that 3 minutes, my butt was very happy. Just want to know if that translates to a full tank of riding time.

This is for my new V2K and, FWIW, I'm a big guy. My complaints with the stock seat is that my tailbone and whatcha-call-em pelvic bones hurt in short order and the front edge of the seat is cutting into my legs some and cutting off circulation.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Belrix,

Last August I bought a Russell Day-Long seat and I have not regretted it. After riding my bike ('09 500 LTD) with the old seat I could only last about two hours. Then the pain in my tailbone was so severe that I could hardly walk after getting off the bike. The Russell cured that problem. The longest I have ridden with the new seat is about three hours but there was NO paint. None, zilch, zip, nadda! I'm a pretty hefty fella - 280 pounds. But I got the optional heavy duty wings and it really made a difference.

Now the down side. The 500 is a pretty small bike and I am 6' tall. When I got the seat back the extra padding pushed me forward about an inch. I really miss that inch. It put my legs at a more acute angle. I solved this by adding a bar across the frame to put my feet on when I need to straighten my legs. If you do get this seat be sure to tell them not to move you forward (unless you want to be moved forward).

Hope this helps and good luck.

·
*** V2K Rocks!!! ***
1,692 Posts
I had a Russell seat installed two years ago and it's been one of the best mods I've done on this bike. Like PhilipD says about two hours is all I could endure with the stock seat, but with the Russell seat I've gone 5-6 hour riding days with no pain and was ready to get back on and do it all over again the next day.

I live close enough to the Russell shop so that I scheduled a ride-in appointment to do the seat while I was there. The advantage of that is that you get to sit on the seat at the half way point of the build process and have them make minor adjustments to the fit before they finish the seat. I'm really very happy with the seat and my only regret is that I didn't spend the extra money to have it covered in leather. I went with the vinyl option and I tend to stick to the seat somewhat when the weathers really hot. But other than that I really like this seat.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Did either of you go from a Mustang seat to the Russell? I've been wondering if going from a Mustang which is pretty darn good will be worth the money.

·
'06 V2K, Baby!
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Without a doubt, lots of people like their mustangs. I guess every butt is different and while it was better than the stocker, it still required something more.

My other choices are an airhawk pad (much cheaper) or have the stock one reshaped & a gel pad added (like my old 900). The Russell appeals, I guess, because I know they have springs in it. That, to me, sounds like a real mod and not a band-aid.

·
*** V2K Rocks!!! ***
1,692 Posts
Did either of you go from a Mustang seat to the Russell? I've been wondering if going from a Mustang which is pretty darn good will be worth the money.
I had a Mustang seat on my Vulcan 1600 Classic and for me it got be uncomfortable after about 2 hours of riding time. So with my V2K I went straight to the Russell seat and I'm glad I did.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts