Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i posted a while back on my '03 ninja 250r or whatever you want to call it. it seemed very ticky and noisy at idle, almost as if it were very valvy. that was at 1100 miles. i now have 1400 miles and the noise is still there. i rode it to the dealer and they said that this noise was normal and the 250's are "noisy" engines. Do you think i should believe that or maybe the dealer just doesnt want to be bothered with servicing the bike. BTW, i have the warranty til 2008 and they failed to explain what that covers. the bike seems to ride fine, accelerates nice and smooth, etc. but i just cant get used to the ticking noise at idle. Oh and it gets louder when you put the kickstand down. weird huh? Also i would like to ask if a valve problem is as serious on a bike as in a car, and how much it runs to get a problem like that cleared up, if there is a problem at all. Thanx

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it only gets louder when the kickstand is down i really am just wondering how "noisy" the little 250 is supposed to be

·
Registered
36 Posts
mine is the same way i have 1900 on it i just got it back from the dealer had a valve adjustment done it is a hair quiter but not that noticeable.
i think the solution is to get a louder exhaust hehe.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Mine is the exact same way, MR. The motor is noisey until I pull in the cluth, therefore I'm guessing that the EX 250's clutch is kinda crappy.

So yeah, I don't think it's a valve problem. I do think it's a clutch problem. Try pulling in the clutch at idle and see if the noise changes. :D

Oh, and I have 20,000 kilometers on mine!

·
Registered
85 Posts
In my understanding, pulling in the clutch puts tension on the clutch plates - thus decreasing the noise of them rattling at idle. At idle with clutch out, the plates are "loose" and will rattle. This is normal for a bike, but it shouldn't be very loud I wouldn't think. My 500 does this, but not very loud.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I'd sure check the valves. Did you get it done at 500 miles? If not, you need to do it anyway. It will probably cost about $200 or so from the dealer, or about $35 for the tools to do it yourself (Kawasaki valve adjustment service tool and a generic feeler gauge). I have a Ninja 250R, and it doesn't seem too noisy to me. But based on what bdropped said, the valves may not be the problem.

ZX-10R Urza's suggestion is a good one. Grab that kickstand with your hand and pull it real hard to see if it's loose. Maybe something else is loose and rattles, making you think you have valve noise. That's not as uncommon as you might think.

I'd also try to compare it to other Ninja 250's. If you don't know anyone, you could try the classifieds or cycletrader or ebay. Sellers are usually pretty helpful, even if you're not going to buy their bike. Then you'll know firsthand if yours is unusually noisy. There's nothing like knowing for yourself.
Curt

·
Registered
13 Posts
My 1999 Ninja 250 is the same way, surely its not supposed to be valvy sounding like this... how can I adjust the chain?

·
Registered
405 Posts
You don't need to adjust your chain.....if you've got a lot of valve clicking, check your valve clearances. If they're on the high end of the clearance spec, tighten them up a little and the noise will quiet down.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Kawi's are known to be noisy bikes, its just how the valvetrain is on them. a valve adjustment should probably help a little bit though. but its a Kawi thing. kinda like Honda's cam chain tensioner on the CBR.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Lawn Masters said:
Kawi's are known to be noisy bikes, its just how the valvetrain is on them. a valve adjustment should probably help a little bit though. but its a Kawi thing. kinda like Honda's cam chain tensioner on the CBR.
+ 1. kawis are noisy engines in general , especially the 250 , they rev to the moon lol , every kawi ive had has a ticky sounding engine, its just a kawi thing. My ZX6R is suprisingly quieter though than all the other kawis ive owned, even my kawi dirt bikes were noisey

·
Registered
35 Posts
My old "95" 250 was noisy as well. After I had sold it this bike mechanic told me to use premium gas and the noise would be reduced. I never got the chance to try it. If I still had the bike my only concern would be that the premium gas would make the bike run hotter????????

·
Registered
63 Posts
Mr78rm said:
Hey guys, i posted a while back on my '03 ninja 250r or whatever you want to call it. it seemed very ticky and noisy at idle, almost as if it were very valvy. that was at 1100 miles. i now have 1400 miles and the noise is still there. i rode it to the dealer and they said that this noise was normal and the 250's are "noisy" engines. Do you think i should believe that or maybe the dealer just doesnt want to be bothered with servicing the bike. BTW, i have the warranty til 2008 and they failed to explain what that covers. the bike seems to ride fine, accelerates nice and smooth, etc. but i just cant get used to the ticking noise at idle. Oh and it gets louder when you put the kickstand down. weird huh? Also i would like to ask if a valve problem is as serious on a bike as in a car, and how much it runs to get a problem like that cleared up, if there is a problem at all. Thanx
When I got mine a used 04 it was very loud. I took the cam chain adjuster out and cleaned it. I also checked the valves but they were within specs. The adjuster was the problem. Now it's is very quiet. Check the 250 riders club FAQ. Has everything you would ever want to know about the bike.;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts