Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '89 EX500 is flooding at high rpm (>6500). This started happening after I replaced the fuel and air filters, plugs, fuel and vacume hoses and removed the CA fuel evap. recover system. The changes I made were to re-route the vacume line attached to the petcock directly to the carb (It was attached to the carb via the evap. system with a Y-conector before).

Could there be too much vacume now because of the re-route?

I sprayed oil into the new Uni filter. Could I have sprayed too much oil in it? Should I switch it out for a K&N filter?

Perhaps I need to adjust the carbs now?

What else could be the problem?

TIA,

Tom

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
I would think your main jets were too big if its flooding at high RPM, are the carbs actually overflowing? or is it the motor thats getting boggy?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not so sure its flooding anymore...

I re-routed the vacume tubes to include the valve attached to the air box and everything seemed fine. I went on a 1.5 hour ride. The first 45 min. were flawless. On the ride back home, the problem started again. The bike would only go 1 or 2 miles and die. So I pull over, wait a couple minutes pull out the choke and crank it over several times until it starts, it lags, clears up and runs fine for another couple minutes then dies. I'm starting to think it is not getting enough gas.

While its running, I can start to feel it bogging. If I open the throttle, I can maintane the RPM for a few seconds. Opening the throttle more and more to keep the RPMs at a consistant point. The bogging seems to be consistent with me getting off the throttle, thats when the bogging was starting this last weekend.

Once the engine dies, you can hear it not fireing anymore as the engine "put-put-puts" down as the RPM fall. Opening the throttle makes the "put-put" sound a little louder, but has no effect on the engine, it continues to die.

At first, I thought pulling out the choke would help as the bogging starts but this did'nt make much if any differnce. I also though maybe I was out of fuel, but I had enough and even switched over to reserve, but this made no differnce.

This week end I'm going to pull the plugs and reinstall the evap system and see if this helps.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
The vaccum diaphram might be the culprit, its part of the petcock (thing on the gastank that gives gas) it'll cost you like 15 bucks for a new vaccum diaphram/spring from www.bikebandit.com I had a similar problem to that, except it was at idle there wasn't enough vaccum to open the old one up. A new diaphram cleared up those issues.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Your symptoms of running for a few minutes dying, wait a few minutes and repeat sound like vacuum lock in the gastank. As fuel leaves the tank air must enter or else you create a vacuum lock where gas can't leave.
Next time it happens, stop, open the gas cap. If there is a woosh of air or the bike then starts up and runs then you know what the problem is.
The gas cap has a pinhole in it for venting.
PQ

1 - 5 of 5 Posts