Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I'm new to this board and motorcycling. A few days ago I bought a 2000 ex 500. I'm going through general maintainence right now, and i'm wondering what motor oil to use. What is everyone else using? also, what oil filter are you using? Thanks.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Oil is is touchy subject for some people. I use shell rotella t 15w-40. It is heavy duty truck oil that is $6.50 a gallon at walmart. Some people use the synthetic rotella t 5w-40 but I think that is a bit thin. Some like mobil delvac 1300, which is similar to rotella non syn.

Aside from that, you can use pretty much any car oil in the bike as long as it does not have "energy conserving" in the seal on the back. Energy conserving oils have friction modifiers that don't work well with wet clutches like we have.

You could use specialty motorcycle oils but I find that $5 a quart for non synthetic "special" oil is a bit much.

As for oil filters, you could go to the dealer, last Kawa filter i bought cost $13. I bought a purolator filter at pep boys for $6 last time though.

·
Registered
456 Posts
virtualkuz said:
You could use specialty motorcycle oils but I find that $5 a quart for non synthetic "special" oil is a bit much.
Ain't that the truth. But motorcycle oil really is different from car oil. It has different amounts of zinc in it, for instance, so it really is better. But how much better? Not much really. I still buy motorcycle oil anyway, since I want the very best for my baby. I'm using Castrol Act Evo fully synthetic 10W40, but I've been reading some less-than-complementary news about Castrol, so I think I'll switch to a different brand next time. But I'll still use fully synthetic motorcycle oil. It may cost four times as much as cheap car oil, but it's still not a lot of money, and my baby deserves the very best.

I think changing the oil and filter regularly is more important that picking the best oil or filter.
Curt

·
Registered
102 Posts
Curt said:
virtualkuz said:
Ain't that the truth. But motorcycle oil really is different from car oil. It has different amounts of zinc in it, for instance, so it really is better. But how much better? Not much really.
The heavy duty oils are also better than normal car oils, and much less expensive than motorcycle oils. That's what I'm using now, and the engine is runnign fine, and the clutch grabs better than it did when I had Mobil 1 for motorcycles in it.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Just did my first oil change on my 500, bought Kawasaki brand oil, 10/40, at my local shop, it was $2.35 a quart, does not seam excessive to me. The filter was $12.00 though, now that seams high to me for how small it is!

Oh yea, does anyone know if anyone sells a wrench small enough to fit it? I used my car filter winch with a piece of rubber around it to get it to fit.

Joe

·
Registered
130 Posts
DiverDown said:
Just did my first oil change on my 500, bought Kawasaki brand oil, 10/40, at my local shop, it was $2.35 a quart, does not seam excessive to me. The filter was $12.00 though, now that seams high to me for how small it is!

Oh yea, does anyone know if anyone sells a wrench small enough to fit it? I used my car filter winch with a piece of rubber around it to get it to fit.

Joe
pep boys sells a filter wrench that will fit. It is size 00, and about $6.

·
Road Snot Needs A Kleenex
364 Posts
I was using Catrol GTX 10w-40, never had a problem with it. Now, I'm using motorcycle oil. I put in AMS Oil 10w-40, and usa a FRAM oil filter (PH6017A) from Parts America for $5.98 (and yes, it is black). Once in a while I've found it on sale for $4.99.

The Ninja 500R uses the same oil filter as my dad's '96 Honda Shadow A.C.E., so we share the oil filter wrench made for the FRAM motorcycle filter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts