Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I own a 2001 Ex 500 and am currently experiencing some problems. The problem is when I accelerate. When I hit about 5000 RPM the bike hesitates, although I am still accelerating, and then gets back in the powerband. If anybody knows what this problem might be, please let me know.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm having the same problem with my 98 zx9. Only mine hesitates when I take off from a stop???? If I fix it I'll let you know what I did.

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
Hesitation

Firts of all check your fuel and air systems...A fuel filter is cheap to replace, and make sure that the clamps are tight and the fuel lines have no dry cracks. Having a dirty air filter or an airbox not properly sealed will cause the same type problems...you didn't say if this problem occurs all the time only cold or only hot...check your plugs for a normal tan color. If they are blackened (rich), and if they are whiteish to lean...also you may have parts of the plug pitted away...check for the right plug for what/how you are driving. If you are driving primarily high RPMs the you could go a step cooler on youp plugs and if you are doing a lot of town riding/cruising then you could go a step hotter... Bikes coming out of the factory are set up to be a common comprimise between different types of driving. If you are on teh race track or riding on long rides on the Interstate versus cruising around in the city an dnot ever seeing the Interstates there is a difference in what you could be doing with your bike and changing plugs is a good thing. Even setting your carbs is a great thing. Different barimetric pressure changes things from donner pass to death valley is a major change in altitude. From Denver to the sea coast is a change. If you have EFI then it compensates, but you still have to clean your air filter all of the time. check things out an dlet us, on the Forum know what you found. Sometimes just a change in plugs cause a complete difference if you have just had a tuneup...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts