Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone, i'm new to the forum so please excuse any stupidity.

my ex250 died on me today. i stopped to fill up on gas and when i tried to start it up again it wouldn't. i turned the ignition to on but none of the lights (oil and neutral) would turn on. it wasn't cranking at all or doing anything. just plain dead. i bought the battery in like april so i don't think its the problem. it did this once before. when i tried to leave at a stop light it just kind of sputtered out. but after a moment i got the oil and neutral light to turn on and it started back up no problems. this time i had to push start it and it seems like all the electronics were freaking out. tach was bouncing around. neutral and blinker lights were flickering. sputtering when i tried to give it some gas. its kinda acted like this once when i push started it w/o a battery but it seems a little different this time.

anyone have a similar experience or some good input?

thanks

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Is your battery sealed? If not check your electrolyte level. Being that it is probably hot in most places the hot summer can suck dry a battery. If the battery is good with electrolytes you can check the charge on the battery with a volt meter tester.

Sometimes in the heat wires will have plastic melt into them and you will lose good contact. A simple fix is to wiggle the wires which will brake the plastic up for better contact. Clean the contact points of the battery with a piece of sandpaper if it looks corroded - use baking soda and water to neutralize the acid if present.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
does my motorcycle have an alternator or am i supposed to charge the battery separately? until yesterday i had no problems starting it. the engine always started immediately so i assumed the battery still had plenty of juice.

i think it my be some bad wiring because i used to have a dead battery and i push started it with and without the battery. when the battery was in, it seemed like it help regulate the power or something. without the battery, the motorcycle would idle but it was almost impossible to ride it around. i'll go to the battery store today to get them to test the battery. the battery is a sealed battery and it came with a 6mth or 1yr warranty from the Battries Plus store, too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
problem solved.....so apparently my battery was bad. took it back to the store and it was 12V but almost no amps. strange but i got a new battery and everything is back to normal. thanks for the help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts