Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car and house insurance is with State Farm and they do not do Motorcycle Insurance in Kansas. I saw the Farmers Insurance lady same thing for "Sport Bikes." So IF you live in Kansas, have a Ninja 250R (mines a 2002) please let me know who you r company is. I'm 51, no tickets, no accidents, have had an "M" endorsement for over 30 years, have facilitated and been through MSF years ago when I was in the Navy, and I have been on several bikes lately of my friends from a 500R to a couple of Harleys, a Honda...anyway...I could use some help finding an agent. I live in Gardner, KS, about 35 miles south of Kansas City, Kansas. I think that the reason insurance is a big theing here is because most of the states population is right here in this area, and frankly people frown on bikes...esp insurance agents.
Lindsey J. Angell
[email protected]

ZX-2R

·
Registered
12 Posts
I believe Progressive has really good deals, me having a couple of tickets and no motorcycle license, they quoted me less than 50 bucks a month, but that was just liability, if you want full coverage it will be much more. Just go to their website and get a free quote.
By the way, I do not think geico has motorcycle inssurance either. You may try also looking in the phone book.

·
Registered
85 Posts
GEICO will insure bikes, but unless you already have a bike insured with them, they will charge you to the moon. They wanted me to pay $3300 a year, full coverage on a $4500 bike (I have had them as my auto ins for 8 years). Pefect driving record, 24 years old. I went with Progressive, who is only slightly less absurd in what they are charging me. I have been meaning to call them and see why I pay so much, $700 a year liability only ($1600 for full coverage). I am expecting my ins to drop a whole lot in a few months when I hit the magic 25 years old.

·
Registered
20 Posts
ZX-2R

I work for State Farm Insurance in FL and I just called a State Farm Agent in your town and they told me there is no problem writing a motorcycle policy in Kansas..Call Agent Joe Oldham (913)856-6124...I just talked with him and if you already have your auto's with State Farm, then there is no problem... Good Luck!

·
Registered
20 Posts
its really at the agents discretion..at my agency, we do not require you to have previous auto insurance, but we do require you to have at least one other policy with us. So you could purchase your motorcycle policy and 1 other policy(almost anything that is very cheap) and they will issue it (most agents, not all). Also, State Farm will obviously run your license for accidents and tickets..so that could definately increase your premium, but my 99 Vulcan 800 only costs me approx $400 year for full coverage.

All motorcycle policys are based on the cc's of your bike, so 0-250, 251-500, 501-900, and 900+ are the basis we use for premiums..that will make all the difference in the world...

my 04 Yamaha xt225(dualsport) is only $145 year for full coverage...makes a big difference.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
INSURANCE

I found out that my agent which took over when the previous agent retired 30+ years ago is okay, but now I want to switch my agent to the one in my home town. We didn't have one way back then now we do. I have a direct withdraw from my checking account to the office, so ther will be some overlap with the offices...but as long as I have the insurance then I'm okay with it. My cruuent agent is about 14 miles from here and my new on will be right in town about 4 miles from my doorstep...not bad, and I believe I should support my home town, especially the merchants. Thank you for the information, and YES they will insure me. They won't give me a quote because I'm not with their office, but I could get a quote with my current office. I'm about a couple of weeks away from getting the bike so I'm not in any hurry...Thank you for stepping out and assisting me. When I had my ocean race boat they no longer wanted to insure it...and I understand that. It was way to fast for any of the lakes around here, sepecially with all teh trees under the surface and all.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Adrenaline Thank you STATE FARM

I've been behind a buddy 50' when he hit a patch of black ice in R.I. all I saw was his feet come down like out-riggers and the bike slide a little...I immediately knew and did hte same thing just maintaining the throttle position and made it through the ice patch...sort of the same rush you get when you're doing 60+MPH in a boat and all of a sudden you see tree stumps between you and the exit of a cove..letting off would cause the boat to lower itself some in the water taking lots of time and applying full throttle causes less of the boat to be in the water skimming teh surface with only 2 or the 3 blades actually in the water (racing way of doing things right) but it gave me the way out and I never put my boat back in the lake here in Kansas...In Rhode Island there was a Scenic Drive of 14 Miles and it was under patrolled and usually you would see a Ferrari or a Porsche flying through and you knew that it was safe to fly once they had passed...so we (about 3 of us usually) would hit the road and let our bikes fly. It was a serious blast and we knew every little bump and asphault fix on the entire road. The tight turnes and the dips and rises..where if you were going to fast you could get airborn in a second. Let off and then apply throttle and you would come out cojntrolling the front wheel off of the ground all the time acelerating...what a wonderful way to end an evening, going to supper right afterwards. You couldn't do much over 75 MPH even on the GPz550, GS650 or even my GS450S, but what a blast. Mass. offered us some serious sandy roads along the beaches and they were fun but lots more treacherous. Sliding was not my forte'. still riding from NY city to East Port, Maine was an awesome experience, no matter what roads you took. I'm ready to find out about the Montana roads. I'm older, wiser and take in more scenery, but still aware of my road conditions...should I have the opportunity to make the trip out an dback...I'll be one happy individual. I'e done the wes coast from San Diego to Washington state, nice roads and a little scary for me at times, but still a joy. from beautif sunsets, to the best blueberry pancakes in the world (Sea Gulch, Oregon) I have loved even my most tired and sometimes boring stretches of road...where I had to take time to rest and smell the ocean breeze to bring me back to reality. Monterey, San Francisco, the cold, hot, fog, resturaunts, side road markets, man it is awesome. I may set up my 250R for just local riding an find a 600..maybe a 500 for cross country, but I know that I will enjoy some more riding. Sierra Vista, AZ, is awesome just like Tombstone, and even Phoenix...I'm itching to get a couple bikes built...and find my way back to the road. My failed back syndrome has left me with no feeling in either of my feet and legs, but while I can walk, I want to ride. when I can no longer handle a bike I may consider a trike, but a wheel chair...I'm not so sure about...maybe a side car controlled trike...I'm not sure, but i hate to give up the road and traveling. Thanks for being on line and handling something that I entirely overlooked in insurance...State Farm...STATE FARM...is definately tops in my book.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

MY BEEF is that no one takes the PROFILE to its fullest...It's a tool that some of us look through. I would ask that ALL poeple on the forum give up some information...Not only interest, occupation but hobbies as well...

·
Registered
456 Posts
ZX-2R:
Geico gave me the best rate last year. But this year (right here on www.kawasakimotorcycle.org) I heard about www.bike-line.com. I'm not due yet, but I might just switch. They're super cheap. Check them out.

I didn't price full coverage. I quit full coverage when I paid off my car loan 17 years ago. Since then I've only bought what I can afford. And by that I mean cash only, no loan for me. In all those years, I've had not one car loan. I get good deals on cars (and my bike, too) that way, and save a bundle on loan fees, interest, and insurance. Insurance is only there to pay for what I can't. If I can pay for my own collision damage, then it's a lot cheaper to only carry liability insurance.

One of the big advantages of a bike over a car is affordability. You can get a reliable bike for half or less of the cost of a reliable car (whether you're looking at new or used). Maintenance is cheaper because most people with a little patience and willingness to learn can do most of it themselves. And insurance cost is way less than half of what it costs for a car. A bike might not make a good primary vehicle, but for a second household vehicle, it's hard to beat it.

everyone else:
ZX-2R's right about the profile. Everone click on your profile button and fill it in. We want to feel like we know you!
Curt

·
Registered
133 Posts
This is sort of on the topic......
I'm 14 years old and live in Arkansas. I can get my license to drive 250cc and under motorcycles right now, so i'm looking at Ninja 250's. I don't have a clue on insurance. I assume it will be pretty high, considering the fact that i'm only 14...I'd like to know the full coverage and liability price, if anyone has a clue. I'd love to start out with a 250, and get one now, but insurance is the deciding factor.

Thanks for any help. :D

·
Registered
456 Posts
Two words: shop around.

You'll be amazed how much difference there is from one company to the next, especially at your age. And be sure to include your parents' insurance agent in the list.

The Ninja 250 is a great bike. I love mine. Your insurance will probably cost you more than all other expenses combined on the bike, so I'm glad you're planning ahead. Naturally I'm hesitant to recommend a Ninja to a 14 year old, but I don't know you at all. Perhaps you're a responsible, level-headed person.

In a little while, others will chime in and tell you to take the safety course. It's good advice. Do that before you buy a bike. You'll learn a lot.
Curt

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hmm, i was actually planning to take the MSF course after i bought the bike...I figured that i would understand more...I happen to think that i will be very safe on a Ninja. Because, honestly, i'm afraid of things that go fast until i get used to them. Therefore i would be very concious of what i'm doing at every momeny. The biggest, and only, bike that i have ever rode was a Honda 200 dirtbike that my cousin owned. Not much of a comparison, but i did learn shifting on it...I didn't even get that thing out of first gear until i made sure i was used to it. Once i got used to it, then i slowly progressed in speed and different challenges. So i think that a 250 would be perfect for me. And my grandma would be the gaurdian, so she would be getting the insurance. Anyone wanna throw out a guesstimate on the insurance price?

And i'm planning on taking the advanced MSF course as well. Reading through a lot of the posts on here has convinced me that i want to take it. Maybe my brother will take it with me, as he is going to get a 600.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Oh, and thanks for the quick reply. :D
I just joined today, and i'm already liking this forum quite a bit. Seems to have really nice, and well-educated people on it.

The insurance is a huge issue, and i can't get a quote or anything until Monday...If the insurance was $100 a month, then i can deal with it pretty easily. But i doubt it going to be that low, even with the Ninja 250 only being 248cc....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Good luck getting insurance. I can tell you that we would not be able to help you out at 14. Most insurance companies are going to require you to have your driver's license before we can insure you to drive a vehicle. But there are always exceptions. I agree, shop around. At your age it will be expensive no matter where you go, but get the best price you can with a good, reputable company. I am sure that there are many people here with stories of bad experiences with claims- and the company that you pay your hard earned cash to, should pay the claims they agreed to. You get what you pay for. Good luck with your search, i would be happy to answer any questions i can for you, as i am sure others would too!! Have fun on your bike!!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Thanks for the help. I got a quote from progressive. With my grandma co-signing, i get it for $881/year. $73 a month is cheap. That's for comprehesive. Full coverage is $3,200 a year. More than the bike!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts