Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my ex250 is not starting. i've been putting a ton of miles on my bike lately and it's been working really well. today it started up fine, left the choke on to let it warm up at 3k as usual. all on the highway - i drove maybe 15 miles, took a break, drove another 10 and in that 10 the bike felt a little sluggish - i had trouble getting above 72mph. took another break and as soon as i came to a stop sign the bike shut off. i had a lot of trouble getting it started but i got it going and had to keep it at about 3.5k so it wouldn't stall out. there were some little pops/putts from the exhaust while i was waiting at this stop sign. i got to where i was going and the bike stalled out again when i pulled into the parking lot and i haven't been able to get it started since. when i was pushing it into the spot i noticed it was hard to move when i had the clutch lever pulled in so i popped it into neutral and it moved fine. the release lever is properly set up and moves fine when i pull the hand lever in. so i thought the problem would be the clutch isn't disengaging but even when it's in neutral the bike won't start. i can't push start it either. it sounds like it is right about to start up but just putts a little.. any suggestions?

the good part about my situation is that i'm meeting my friends here tomorrow morning and then at the end of the week we were going to put the bike in a trailer anyway and drive back up to philadelphia. so i'm not really stuck but it sucks that it's not working :\ anyway, thanks in advance for any ideas.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
If there's fuel the next step would be to check for spark/plug condition.

·
RideOrDieWarren
652 Posts
If those are good. When was the last valve adjustment? The 250 will not run very well, and stall when stopping cause the valves are tight.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hah.. it seems silly but i guess it happens. yes, there is gas. last valve adjustment? i couldn't tell you. a long effin time though that's for sure.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sounds like it very likely be a broken valve. We bought a used 1998 EX250 with less thank 10K miles about 4 months ago. I took it for a test ride ... everything was great. Trailered it home and put tags on it for my kids to begin riding lessons with me. I stopped at a gas station, topped it off; and was on my way. We rode it all day and on the way home it began behaving just like yours. Long story short, we ended up having the entire top end rebuilt with new valves. Our mechanic told us the broken valve was caused by not having the valves adjusted.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts