Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new front sprocket to drop one tooth.

There is a bit of a lip there on one side. The other side is completely flat. Comparing it to the stock sprocket, it looks like the flat side should be on the inside to line up properly. If you do that, though, the little oval thing that holds it in place doesn't sit against it properly. If you flip it around so the oval thing sits on the flat side, it looks like the chain doesn't line up as well as it could.

Has anyone installed a sprocket like this, and know for a fact which direction it goes on?

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
SPROCKET

Take a look on your reciept and give them a call and verify that in fact you have the right front countershaft sprocket. Find a straight edge and hold it to the rear sprocket and see if in fact it lines up perfectly to the front. If it doesn't the order the complete set with a new chain. ALSO verify that your alignment marks are exactly in line with each other on your rear wheel adjusters before you do this. If you get the information that the sprocket is the wrong one then I'm exchange it and not have to pay for the Shipping&Handling or Return because it was their mistake.
Let me know how you like the new-found power!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I verified the part number. I bought it from a local Kawasaki dealer (believe it or not, they have better prices on some stuff than any web retailer I've found) and I'll probably give them a call when they open, but I was hoping to get it done yesterday.

The back end is lined up pretty well. It just doesn't look like it's lined up with the front. If I can't get a good answer from the dealer, I may just try it the other way and see if that oval thing holds without sitting flat.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
When you get the replacement part compare it to yours

SOmetimes things get the wrong label...I'd check it out before installing it..then install it an see how it looks. remember to lube your chain while it is still hot after a ride, not while it is cold and let it set overnight. The mechanics at the shop will most likely be helpful if you just ask them...you should purchse the Service manual for your bike...I believe that it even shows the countershaft sprocket...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got it, it shows the sprocket, but not an aftermarket one :) I could put the stock one back on without a problem.

I talked to the guys at the shop about 10 minutes ago. They gave a suggestion, but since they do so few EX500s, there was noone there who has installed one specifically. They were able to tell me the manufacturer (it came from Parts Unlimited, so I just have that part number), and the mfg had dimensions on their website, so I can measure it up when I get home and make sure it's the right size. The dimensions also showed the little lip that is giving me my trouble. They said worst case, if I put the stock one back on, they'll take this one back or help me find another replacement. I'll fiddle with it tonight and post what I find.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Disregard the number of teeth and all that, but the sprocket on the left is pretty much what the c/s sprocket looks like. Those two threaded holes are used to hold an oval piece down that locks the sprocket so it can't come off the gear. If you put it on the side facing us in the picture, it won't rest flat. If you flip the gear over and put it on the flat side, the chain doesn't line up properly.

That's just some clarification to what I'm talking about above.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just in case anyone searching comes across this thread:

Fiddled again last night, I flipped it around, so it was in the direction where it looks like the chain wouldn't line up as good, but the oval thing mounts flat. With it up on the centerstand, I ran it, and it was pretty noisy, so I shut it down. Flipped it around again, and did the same thing. I could still hear it, but it was quieter than before. So I put it all back together and went for a ride. It's definitely louder than stock, with a bit more vibration. There is some rubber on the stock sprocket, I don't know if it works as a dampener. But I went about 20 miles, about 5 miles at highway speed, and the chain looked fine when I got back. No marks or anything, so I think I've got it in the right way. It's in so the lip is facing out, so the oval thing doesn't sit right. I'll check it in a couple days to make sure nothing has started to come loose, although I think it's tight enough.

The final report: Definitely more pull in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. I'm guessing it will be less noticable in the higher gears, but I haven't tried the high RPMs. The front end gets light in 1st and 2nd, but with me leaning forward slightly, stays well planted, so nothing to worry about. You hit the rev limiter faster, but since I usually accelerate by gear, not speed, that keeps my speeds down (on-ramps are good for hard through 1st 2nd and 3rd, so now I back off at an earlier speed). The gearing change isn't enough that you find yourself always at higher RPMs. I think highway cruising is around 6500, which isn't too bad.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
My front sprocket was just about the same as that, didn't look like the stock at all. I also only went a few weeks with the -1 I had on there, it was just too low of gearing for me.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh ok. If I get up to about 40 or 50 (before wind noise becomes too loud) and pull the clutch or put it in neutral, I can hear a bit more noise from the chain. Stock exhaust, though, so once revs drop down, it's pretty quiet.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
GREAT!

When you change the rear tire change the rear sprocket +3 teeth or more, and then perhaps you will want to go back to the original front countershaft sprocket...maybe not if you really enjoy the POWER!!! Thanks for the report!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just bought a GPZ500S and need to change the chain and sprockets. Can you guys advise what special tools I need if any to fit these? I haven't got a manual yet so don't know what I'm letting myself in for. The chain I've got is an IRIS 520-104 X-RING CHAIN (GOLD). Do you need anything special to get the front sprocket off or cut/join the chain etc?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just went to replace mine tonight -1/+2 and realized I need a Chain Press Fit Tool to get the chain back together... so off to the Motorcycle shop in the morning to see if they'll rent me one or just buy one and return it... or maybe I'll hold on to it... I'm kinda up in arms... it's late and I'm tired... zzz....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts