Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys/gals, i got my bike about 3 months ago, and i have ridden it for a little while than one perfect day i decided to adjust my valves, and did so with the help of my friend. And about 2 days later while going on the highway at about 105-110 for about 10-15 min, all of a sudden there was a loss of power. I pulled over to curb, and turned the bike off. Then when I tried to turn it back on the engine would run, but it would make horrible metal-against-metal clanking noise somewhere in the top of the engine. This probably has something to do with the valves. So i decided to fix it myself, right now i have the valve cover, and the head off the motor. And when i looked at the piston and the valves there was a **** load of carbon build up or something like that. But the thing is i dont see anything wrong with the valves.

Btw this is a Kawi Ex500 '96 with 46k on it.

Pictures of what i have uncovered in the engine so far will come tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
CLANKING

So do you have any scratches scouring of the cylinder walls...sideplay different in either of the pistons...any silver metalic shiny stuff in the oil...I must be missing lots of questions here...did you do the valve adjustment while the engine was warm/hot and not cold...now would be a good time to check the pistons and valves, springs, shims, anything that may have been wrong..should show up now...YOu have to fill us in on what you found! Covering up the engine you could now blow the tubes to see if perhaps the carbon is cleared out of the pipes...now would be a great time to swap out pistons for some treated ones, or send/have dry film lubricants and thermal barrier treatments done...so many things is so little time...summer is on its way! It has to be right, when you put it back together...or you will surely miss a couple of glorious morning and evening cruises before or after work...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts