Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much of a pain would it be to find and acquire the dual disc setup off of a GPZ and graft it onto the 2004 Ninja 500R? I have one, and was thinking if it isn't TOO expensive, somehow order one and do the custom work myself.

I know someone has to have looked into it at some point, but can never find anything about it. Is it going to just be that big of a pain in my butt?

I wonder if the brakes are smaller? I don't think they look smaller from the pics, but I could be wrong. It looks like it would be jsut a new reservior, hoses, another disc and mounting stuff. The mounting stuff seems to me as it would be the worst part.

Any opinions are appreciated.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Its hard to find those parts. If you do find them they won't be cheap.

A better option for better brakes is:

EBC full floating front rotor (150-200)
Stainless steel line (50-70)
Sintered brake pads (30)

That'll give you more braking power than you can imagine and almost make you wonder why anybody needs dual discs

·
Registered
128 Posts
if you're seriousabout wanting dual discs, you'll have to get a new fork so you can mount a caliper on both sides, a new rim so you can mount a disk on both sides, a second caliper and disc.... all this unless there's a "strap on" kit i didn't know about

you'll need to change your reservoir and master cylinder to a unit that pushes more fluid (or is it less?) to work both calipers.

dual disks don't REALLY offer too much more stopping power, they really just help brake fade stay away longer by spreading out the friction across 2 discs, instead of one. i've read that a lot of people actually remove their second disk to show off their rims... of course they change out their reservoir to compensate, and they don't notice a difference in performance.

if you really want 2 discs, it's gonna be expensive. to me, all the cost doesn't justify the look. plus i like the way the stock rims on mine look, so i don't want to hide it with a second disc, tho i like the look of symmetry 2 discs up front has.

just my 3 cents.

·
Registered
456 Posts
rednek426 said:
dual disks don't REALLY offer too much more stopping power, they really just help brake fade stay away longer by spreading out the friction across 2 discs, instead of one.
That's what I think, too. The weak spot in the braking system is where the rubber meets the road. If you already have enough braking power to lock up your front wheel, then more braking power won't make you stop any faster. Get stickier tires instead. That will make a real difference like you wouldn't believe.

Freakinout said:
A better option for better brakes is: . . . Stainless steel line
Steel lines also don't give you more braking power, but they are still good anyway, because they let you apply the brakes faster and more confidently with less lever travel. You never really notice how much your rubber hoses stretch (contributing to the time for braking to begin) until you try steel. Good suggestion, Freakinout!

So my vote goes with the other guys here. I really don't think that dual disks are worth the trouble. Sure, you could figure out a way to do it. It would cost you some money and a lot of time. But it would look very, very cool. If you like showing off your work, then go for it. But a more practical approach that will really affect braking performance is stickier tires.
Curt

·
Registered
5 Posts
you need the front wheel and forks from an EX500E9 or EX500E10 model (the European model).

I traded my old D3 EX500 (45,000 miles) against one of the new E9's and to be honest having dual discs doesn't make a huge difference. You can feel the front end is heavier when doing turns. Maybe braking is a little better, but its no biggie.

Twin discs do look nice though :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts