Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I just joined after buying my 87 EX500 and have everything fixed but a fuel leak and am kind of stuck because I don't have any experience with carbs.

First I removed the fuel tank to drain it. I thought the fuel tap/petcock was the problem, possibly the o-ring but when I went to drain it I had no fuel leaking so I ruled it out.Upon closer inspection I noticed the left(shifter) side carb had fuel all over the bottom of the carb. I check the screws which secure the float bowl and they are tight. It is almost like the carb just constantly overflows.

Can anyone offer suggestions, like I said I have never worked on carbs before just normal maintenance and minor repair.....

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
Carb leaking?

Is it running okay when you are riding it? If it isn't I would suspect a float or a needle valve is the problem...if it is running ok than it is probably just a gasket. They are very thin esp on the carb bowls. look up Freakingout and send him the question...he knows about carbs...then again...almost the entire Texas group does, too. Leaking is not a good thing...but you know that...already. Sounds silly but I'd try tapping it...but not hard enough to break it...just enough to get it unstuck???

·
Registered
5 Posts
Carbs

One thing your going to have to do is disassemble the carb assembly and check the float in the left carb. The needle could be stuck and allowing gas to pour in. Also, there are O-ring gaskets that seal the covers to the assembly. They could be cracked or not placed properly.

Are you only seeing gas on the carbs and none leaking from the petcock or fuel line?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Me too!

I have the same problem. I bought an 1985 Eliminator 900. One carb (same one left side) leaks gas out the intake side when not running. If it is running, minimal gas leak and it runs great. I am thinking that a float must be stuck. The petcock on my bike is bad too, so the tank has to be disconnected or it will drain through the carb on to the floor. The intake side of the carb is not connected to the aircleaner. You have to connect four of those rubber things on to the carbs and it seems really hard to do. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It might be easier if you remove the air box. Then pull off the rubber booties from the intake side of the carbs. Loosen the booties on the engine side, and pull carbs back. If it's been awhile since they were taken off, you might need to pry them a little to loosen them up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts