Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I've got a '95 ex500 that idles normally (1200-1400) when cold, but once the engine warms up the idle increases to about 3100rpm. Any suggestions on cause or solution? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
So what happens when you reduce your idle with the little black flower shaped knob on your left side?

You may have your idle just set to high.

·
Registered
605 Posts
your idle screw needs to be adjusted down, maybe to 800-100 cold and 1400-1600 hot since you seem to run it a little high

·
Registered
605 Posts
hope you'll continue to post...not just when you have problems :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
not to steel the post but my 90 ex500 idels way to high when cold 4000rpm ( if i can even get it to stay on the choke) and when its warm 2000rpm ive tryed to to lower it but it sounds really rough and will die after a while of jsut sitting there.... am i running way to lean???

·
Registered
605 Posts
try starting the bike with the choke if you need to then going to no choke really quickly, this was just in my case but it occasionally needed a little help getting started but didn't need the additional choke help to idle. Run your bike into reserve and ride a little bit through it and see if you can reduce the mixture then and have it idle nicely.

Stew

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
AlanInVegas said:
Hi all. I've got a '95 ex500 that idles normally (1200-1400) when cold, but once the engine warms up the idle increases to about 3100rpm. Any suggestions on cause or solution? Thanks.
maybe a air leak somewhere (rubber cap cracked/missing etc.) maybe your carbs are NOT seated completely, maybe your choke is hangin open a little bit.

71_307 said:
not to steal the post but my 90 ex500 idles way to high when cold 4000rpm ( if i can even get it to stay on the choke) and when its warm 2000rpm ive tried to to lower it but it sounds really rough and will die after a while of just sitting there.... am i running way to lean???
sounds like you may have the SAME problems as above.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts