Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, my problem started after I did lots of stuff to my bike during the last week.

Here we go. I changed the factory spark plugs for some NGK Iridium plugs.

I also got fresh gas and put some B12 chemtool in the gas. I put the right amount in for the amount of gas.

I also started using a new brand of oil. Same weight as before.

The issue I am having issues at idle, everything happens at below 2K RPM. When I first start my bike it usually runs very smooth at 1200 RPM. (not rode the bike yet). sometimes when I first turn the bike on and let it idle the RPM moves from below 1K RPM up to 1500 RPM and back and forth.

This same problem occurs when I am riding and stop at a light/stop sign/ect. Engine running, not particularly high RPM, and when I stop the idling issue reoccurs.

I have messed with idle air/fuel mixture screws, but this problem doesn't fit rich or lean. I have also sync'd the carbs and put 3+ gallons of fresh gas in the tank.

The bike runs great as long as I'm above 2K RPM. I am just looking for some ideas.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
TRY THIS

Freakinout...tisk...tisk...to many things at one time!!! One chane at a time! Ok...you will find that the new plugs run a little cold and take some time to heat up. (ESP in a 350 Chevy engine) Makes the car not run so great...anyway change back to your old plugs to verify that the plugs are what you are having difficulty with...then when you fine that in fact it is the plugs...put them back in at the minimum gap clearance...and run the bike out on the road, the way that you usually ride (!) and you will see that although it was the plugs you now have them back in and once you run them a little they will be okay. B12 is actually an Alcohol based additive (?)....it may have made things wierd as well. One of the guys on here the other day was talking about adding a little Marvel Mystery Oil to his fuel...it supposed to keep the carbon levels down...and it helps to keep the tank from rusting inside as well...IF you are dare(ing) enough, get some AMSOIL 2 Stroke Synthetic and add an ounce or two to your tank every so often. It lubricates the top end and it will not mess up anything on your bike, or in your motor!!! I used to carry an 8oz bottle with me and fill it when I ran low...if you had a cylinder head temp gauge (like we used on 2 stroke Yamaha KT100S Kart racing motors you could see that with much oil in your tank it wouldn't affect the temp...but it would affect your fuel economy...that is why books and notes don't lie...they tell the story when things happen like plugs failing or valves needing to be adjusted...

·
Registered
380 Posts
Maybe this doesn't have anything to do with your problem at all... but I had an RX7 that did the exact same thing your bike does. it ran fine, but the idle "hunted" around as the mechanic called it. Turns out the Throttle Position Sensor was out of adjustment. Tuned that and the problem was gone.

Now, the 250 and the 500 have different engines but I believe they have similar electronic ignition... I notice that if I ride at a reasonable throttle and come to a stop at a stop light the idle on my bike (currently set to 14000rpm) sits higher so to speak, about 1700-1800rpm and a few seconds afterwards will drop back down to what it's actually set at. Now, I have no clue what actually controls that feature... But it sounds like that being out of adjustment is what is causing your bike to idle strangely.

Maybe the Electronic Ignition Ninja's have a throttle position sensor? I really don't know enough about the inner working of the bike to tell you exactly. But that's my best guess...

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yup, the spark plugs I had in it were the problem. Even with the correct gap and everything they didn't work right, I swapped in a set of regular NGK plugs from the dealership and all is well.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
SPARK PLUGS!

Darn I hate that! Good thing that it was only a couple of expensive plugs! I hear that there are better plugs...but I fugure that the guy racing have tried and trued EVERY little thing that they can. I've contacted FUCHS to ask about their products...they seem to specialize in lubricants. Dry Film is one theng, like Boron Nitirides, but their oils with without graphite and such seem to offer some promise. I'm still working on getting my 250 out of the salvage yard..yet I've been working on the motor thing for www.studebakermotorcompany.com for about two years now...just for the fun and enjoyment of it. I've always loved motors. I'd like to go through some racing place like BRGracing, they specializize in kawasaki 500's and see what they are doing tpo get the HP up! Trade secrets I suppose. But with the advent of dry Film Lubricants, thermal Barrier applications, Titanium valves, sintered aluminum graphite cyinder sleeves...man, it would be fun to build a REAL 250 to BLOw away the 600's. 19,000 RPM's and they are using pneumatics for valve timing...I'm not ready for that...anyway...Keep a notebook real great notes and do a compression check, and compression leakdown every quarter adn log everything...IF you get ready to do some serious high speed...or should I say, prolonged hi RPM riding, try those plugs again...before you do though, soak them in White vinegar to remove all the deposits...I wish that I had my bike...living it through you guys is great, but I'm misssing the bugs, and some slipage, as well as dragging my footpegs from time to time... Thanks, Freakinout!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts