Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, last august, I bout a 93 Ex500 off a friend. It's been mostly kept indoors, but as it turns out, the gas tank was real rusty So, I end up sealing it, and it ran decent. About a month into driving it, I took it to the kawi shop because it was running real rough, and it was spitting out blue smoke. So they fix it, saying something about float valves, and it worked again. About a month later, the same problem has crept up.

It got too cold to ride, so I left it. Now that its warming up, I'm debating whether to take it to the kawi shop, or just try to fix it my self. I have the Clymer's manual for it, but as far as mechanical stuff goes, it's not my forte. I noticed a small oil leak on my garage floor, but have yet to determine where it comes from. I would appreciate some outside insight on this.

And on a side note, I'd really like to replace the tank on it with a cheap one thats rust free. Anyone have any suggestions on that as well?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Search around on the internet for a junkyard listing, I found a site that let you request parts through a huge network of junk yards and anyone who had the part would e-mail you.
:oops: Sorry I can't seem to remember the site, I'll try and find the number of the yard I got my tank from.
This is how I got my tank for my ZX-6. I got a brand new tank (never had gas in it) from a yard down in FL. for $136 shipped.
If you call a dealer and ask for pricing on a tank, you're lookin at atleast $500.

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
500 PROBLEMS

Call OZ Cycle Salvage 785-242-0600 tell them Lindsey Angell form Gardner sent you for a price (ask for Tim or Brad), and change your fuel filter, and check your spark plugs, infact for the price I would just replace them. Wne you check for the oil leak there is a UV dye that you can add to the oil that will not hurt your oil or the bike...and it will show where the leak is coming from if you can't find it... Try to put a pile of newspapers under the bike and then you should have a better idea of wher the oil si coming from. from the very front look at the forks from the engine look at the covers or the shifter...everything...oilfilter(cheap fix), rear shock...Borrow several milk crates and a 2X12 or a loading ramp, a ladder with a strip of plywood on it so that you may lay on the ground and look up underneath it. be careful not to drop your bike! If it looks like your forks may be leaking take a pair of nylon ziplocks and tighten them around your forks and place them up against the seals to see just how far your forks are compressing or even if they are working equally...IF they are not...and if you are not into doing fork work tehn take it in and have the dealer install new fork seals and oil. It's not easy unless you have a large clean space and some one to help you...personally, I would let the dealer do it for me...because with him I have recourse if something fails...IF I live log enough to file the claim. Keep us on the FORUM informed as this is a learning tool for ALL of us...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts